Double Pancake

Started by PR19_Kit, March 10, 2020, 08:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 24, 2020, 03:43:12 PM
Well, a LOT of colour actually.  ;D
This is a good camouflage to be invisible in the shelves of my 10-year old son (full of toys)...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

loupgarou

Hmmm.... the fin with red and the white cut-out makes me think of something swiss...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

She'll definitely stand out on the table Kit (whenever we next get to set one up  :-\). Very striking  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

That's looking great!  :wub:

PR19_Kit

If you read the posts at the start of the thread, you'll know what the cutouts on the fin are for.

It's a US Navy trainer to teach the sprogs how to fly the single seater fighter Pancakes, so it has to be red and white with lots of black codes and numbers splattered all over the place.

Sorry Ericr, no chance of blue or yellow.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've done the white re-spray, and it went pretty well OK, just the masking of the Hi-Viz was a tad tedious. There's a few spots need touching up but that should be OK.

I started applying the decals, mostly self-printed, but I'm using the Hasegawa ones for the prop blades, and there's three decals per blade and EIGHT blades!  :banghead:

Needless to say, being Hasegawa, they all fell apart so I was glad I'd scanned them and was able to print some spares. They look suitably complex, as well the hi-viz tips that I've done with paint and decals. Sadly I made a screw up of the main decals that lie over the junction between the white and Hi-Viz areas. I forgot that my self-printed decals are so thin that any coloured items need a white background, or you can see the Hi-Viz right through them.  :banghead: So now I've printed some all white underlays to put down before the decals themselves. A trial in the upper right serial and codes didn't go too badly so I'm hopeful.

I've got to sort out the landing gear next, and I have some white metal gear from the Pegasus kit that I may use as the Hasegawa items look a bit fragile. I can't glue the legs in place till my wheel bay paint arrives later in the week, which is a pity or it'd be finished today. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've done all the decals and the detail painting, and the props are on as well.

All that's left is the landing gear and the teeny-weeny elevator mass balances, and they'll probably only last a few days as they look VERY vulnerable.

Here's a teaser shot of a bit of it.................  ;D

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Gosh...how many TINY decals !  :o
Thanks for the idea of scanning decals prior the use, just in case...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on April 26, 2020, 11:59:23 PM

Gosh...how many TINY decals !  :o
Thanks for the idea of scanning decals prior the use, just in case...

There's three detail decals on each blade, plus the ones I printed for the red stripe, and there's eight blades altogether. It's a VERY fiddly job.

I scan every decal sheet from every kit I build, just in case. The manufacturers hardly ever supply spares, and we quite often need them.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

With Spitfires, I tend to buy at least two of each boxing to have spare serial codes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

AndrewF

:thumbsup:fantastic!

PR19_Kit

Brush painting decanted Halfords Appliance White over the Tamiya infected tailplane didn't work, so I'll be re-spraying it later on. <sigh>

The landing gear is assembled, glued in place and painted, and what a fiddle THAT was! Each main gear leg has FIVE parts to it, goodness knows why, but it's on there now, and just needs its wheels.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 25, 2020, 03:12:37 AM

Actually Ericr there is a touch of blue on it now.  ;D

The re-spray of the tailplane went sort of OK, but there's so much paint on it now that the elevator hinge line has vanished entirely! Not only that, two of the prop blades snapped off in the process!  :banghead: :banghead:

The roots of the prop blades are so thin that there's no chance they'll stay on for long. I can see me replacing every one of them with wire in the long run, but that may prevent the props from turning, darn it.

Regards
Kit

ericr

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 27, 2020, 08:48:57 AM

what about a wee hint of yellow somewhere? spinners ?  :wacko:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ericr on April 27, 2020, 09:27:20 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 27, 2020, 08:48:57 AM

what about a wee hint of yellow somewhere? spinners ?  :wacko:

There's the ejection seat firing handles, they're yellow and black.

But they're only about 2.5 mm wide................

Regards
Kit