Double Pancake

Started by PR19_Kit, March 10, 2020, 08:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

DAMN Zimmerman and his mass balances! Why didn't he use internal ones like many other designers?

I've got three of the blasted things on, but the fourth, the very LAST bit to be added to the aircraft, just WON'T go into place. There's nowhere to support the airframe as there's either a fragile prop blade or an equally fragile mass balance in the way.

I've put the ruddy thing away for a bit as otherwise I'll sling it through the window!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

At last it's done, and not before time either!

By jigging that last mass balance with a lump of Blu-Tak I got the thing to stick on in the end, but I don't hold out much hope for any of them staying for long, they're just too vulnerable.

Anyway, here's a Vought TF5U-2 'Double Pancake' trainer of USN Fleet Replacement Squadron VA-46 (AKTRON 46 'The Hummingbirds') based at NAS Hanley Field in Dallas TX in 1956. Conveniently the base was right next door to the Vought factory where it was built.  ;)

DG 261 is finished in the then current USN trainer scheme of overall white with red/orange Hi-Viz areas on the nose and tail, with the unit markings displayed on fin and wings, if the aircraft actually had any wings............

From almost all directions the enormous props of the Double Pancake dominate the view. Rotating in opposite directions the props tend to cancel out the drag producing vortices generated by the 'wing' tips, and not only increase the speed of the aircraft but improve the manoeuvrability as well.

The tilted tandem cockpit of the Double Pancake enabled the instructor to see ahead of the aircraft during the very high angle-of-attack approaches that were almost normal for the Pancake variants. The clear nose on the trainers did not carry the radar ranging gunsight aerial but was retained to enable the pupil to see directly ahead during the steep approaches.

From the rear the twin turbine exhausts from the Allison T40 turboprops can be seen, as well as the extended fins fitted to the trainer variants.

The Double Pancake exhibits a truly fearsome look from dead ahead, once again dominated by the twin, fully articulated propellers. Fighter variants carried 6 x 0.5" guns in triple racks either side of the cockpit but the trainers were unarmed.

The underside view of the Double Pancake shows the twin drop tanks often carried during later training sorties, and these were borrowed from VF-100, the operational F5U-2 squadron, thus their Midnite Blue colour.

This view shows the arrestor hook fitted for deck landing training, although the landing speed of the Pancakes was so slow that they often landed vertically with reference to the ship upon which they were landing! Also note the placement of the insignia split across the landing gear doors. This was because there was little room left on the very compact airframe of the Pancakes.

==============================

The full backstory is here :- https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=47768.0

Sorry to those who got lost looking for the  backstory, I managed to link one of the pics above by mistake. :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

That looks very, VERY cool!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

jalles

Dang that's a fine looking machine! That hi-viz paint job is striking, love it  :wub:

ericr

AndrewF

Nice one - looks great!

Gondor

A very nice looking build Kit  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Sweet, the bold colors suit the pancake well! And the cockpit implant looks very natural, too.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

That looks great.  :)  All the more-so since we know you sweated blood to make it.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

You've had some battles with this I know Kit, but you really won out in the end.

Great build mate  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Kit! what a cracker of a job you've done ---  :wub: :wub: :wub:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Thanks gentlemen, I'm glad you like it.  ;D

I've had the idea in my head for some years, but it was never really a goer with the Pegasus kit. Once I found the Hasegawa one wasn't as expensive as I thought it all became possible. And this GB triggered it of properly of course.

I still hate the props and those BLASTED mass balances!

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

loupgarou

Congratulations for your success in taming a rebel kit! The result is beautiful. :thumbsup:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.