Westland Wyvern SF.4 (A.S.) and S.6c

Started by kitnut617, March 11, 2020, 08:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Thanks very much Chris, I'm glad you like it. I'll scan the 4-View of the Red Angel where I've added dimensions to it and send it to you.

(or I could post it here and explain how I went about it  ;D )

Cheers
Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

loupgarou

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 12, 2020, 06:10:37 AM
Further enquiries at the post office yesterday, the lady behind the counter said that as my letter has come from the UK, it probably landed in Quebec, and since the provincial government there has practically shut down, not to expect anything until the covid has been declared over.

It means I'm not going to finish either of my builds (as both will need white lettering and numbers) so I asked Chris to move my thread to here.

Thanks Chris  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Is not (most of) Quebec french speaking? And therefore shouldn't letters from UK go everywhere else in Canada? And only letters from France go to Quebec?  :rolleyes:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kitnut617

Quote from: loupgarou on June 12, 2020, 10:52:44 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on June 12, 2020, 06:10:37 AM
Further enquiries at the post office yesterday, the lady behind the counter said that as my letter has come from the UK, it probably landed in Quebec, and since the provincial government there has practically shut down, not to expect anything until the covid has been declared over.

It means I'm not going to finish either of my builds (as both will need white lettering and numbers) so I asked Chris to move my thread to here.

Thanks Chris  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Is not (most of) Quebec french speaking? And therefore shouldn't letters from UK go everywhere else in Canada? And only letters from France go to Quebec?  :rolleyes:

You'd think wouldn't you, but it doesn't work that way here.

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 12, 2020, 08:40:43 AM
Thanks very much Chris, I'm glad you like it. I'll scan the 4-View of the Red Angel where I've added dimensions to it and send it to you.

(or I could post it here and explain how I went about it  ;D )

Cheers
Robert
Either, or Robert, I  have been  thinking of what I  could put some on, and I think that they would  look rather  spiffing on the RAF maritime patrol B-47 that is  sat in the pile.  I am sure  it could  carry a  few on it externally, maybe the wing roots.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

OK, gave it a coat of Barley Grey just so I could see --- also got the starboard exhaust nozzle done, just need to finish off the other side.

chrisonord

I am liking this Robert, I  think it  would  look good in either FAA or an RAF middle east  scheme.  :thumbsup:
Chris

kitnut617

Thanks Chris, I think it would too --- except I'm working on it being in 1982 --- was there one of those schemes then ?

chrisonord

I was thinking of mid fifties to early  60's, the same sort of time  frame  as my Javelin, swift and sabre  ground pounders. Fleet air arm  wise, in service  during and after the  the kora war, same scheme as a seafire for example.

kitnut617

The original plan was to do it in XDSG with white undersides, but then after giving it a light grey undercoat, I got thinking about how replacement Harriers that were sent south were Barley Grey, so I thought about doing it in the same colour.

chrisonord

Nice, I am looking forward to seeing this when you have finished it Robert.  I am going to keep my eye out for a  cheap  frog Wyvern  and attempt to  do something  different with  it too. I  need more  completely  wiffed stuff  for my RAF builds.
Chris

kitnut617

So after getting the exhaust sorted out, and further rounds of PSR, the model was getting decidedly tatty looking so gave it another coat of paint. And what better time to see what overall XDSG would look like ----

I'm not really 'sold' on it, but then perhaps another coat of XDSG is needed.

PR19_Kit

Will it have Sky undersides eventually, or overall EDSG?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

The idea Kit, is the RN never decommissioned their carriers and these Wyverns had a long and distinguished careers. Their swan-song was the Falklands --- I was going to do it XDSG with an all white underside just before they got the overall XDSG before going into action. But then while looking at my Harrier reference books for ideas, read about the Sea Harriers that were sent down as replacements for losses, and they were painted overall Barley Grey with toned-down roundels.

At the moment I can't make my mind up which way to go ---  I've got numerous Harrier/Sea Harrier decal sheets in all the various schemes, one scheme even has XDSG with Barley Grey undersides.

PR19_Kit

Sounds terrific. I love the idea of Wyverns in the Falklands, thoughts of all turboprop combat between Wyverns and Pucaras.  ;)

That extra SHAR squadron was 809 NAS, famous for all sorts of stuff. The last FAA Buccaneer Squadron, the ovefrflights over belize, flown from somewhere ear Cuba (!) the business in the Falklands, whence they were taken by the ill-fated Atlantic Conveyor, but managed to fly off a day or so before she was sunk, and they will be the first FAA F-35B Squadron too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I had been thinking NAS 800, there's some nice colourful fin decals on a couple of the sheets I have. Thinking of Barley Grey with them after the action and during the celebrations ----

I'll see if I've got any NAS 809 ones ----