Polikarpov I-15 PDRV Navy: Finished Pics Page 3

Started by zenrat, March 14, 2020, 01:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

The start.
Polikarpov I-15 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Polikarpov I-15 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The kit comes with wheels and skis but no hook.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

When you think of it a series of navalised Po types is quite logical if the Soviet Union had invested in a couple of carriers for it's Navy.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Wikipedia tells me that the Soviet Navy in Russian is
Военно-морской флот СССР
(Voyenno-morskoy flot SSSR)
this is not famous, good choice of subject! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Librarian

I just love Polikarpovs...huge whiffy potential. Just want to cuddle them and give 'em a bottle of milk :wub:

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 14, 2020, 03:47:10 AM
When you think of it a series of navalised Po types is quite logical if the Soviet Union had invested in a couple of carriers for it's Navy.

I need to figure out the permutations but it is possible that on the PDRV timeline the carrier equipped Soviet Pacific fleet battled the Japanese in the Pacific alongside the PDRV and Allied fleets.  The US having lost their carriers at Pearl in '41.

Quote from: Librarian on March 14, 2020, 04:16:53 PM
I just love Polikarpovs...huge whiffy potential. Just want to cuddle them and give 'em a bottle of milk :wub:

I know exactly what you mean. 
This one, being an ICM kit is intricately detailed, has confusing instructions and doesn't quite fit right.  Today I have mostly been working on the interior.  Having worked out where all the parts go and which ones need trimming to fit I have got to the point where paint is required when the glue dries.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Tophe

I have a full book about Polikarpov fighters, in French sorry, written by Herbert LĂ©onard, the French expert in this area. Wonderful book, yes.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 15, 2020, 02:49:19 AM

I need to figure out the permutations but it is possible that on the PDRV timeline the carrier equipped Soviet Pacific fleet battled the Japanese in the Pacific alongside the PDRV and Allied fleets.  The US having lost their carriers at Pearl in '41.

Must admit I was thinking more Black Sea based in aid of The Crimea and Sevastopol. Could then prove useful in launching attacks against Romania and Bulgaria ?

And the White Sea Fleet sortieing out to provide cover to the Arctic convoys coming around the North Cape ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

According to Bill Gunston, Nikolai Niikolayevich Polikarpov created roughly 99% of Soviet trainer, fighter and reconnaissance aircraft up to 1941.
These included the Po-2 which was possibly built in greater numbers in more variants than any other in history.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 16, 2020, 01:42:02 AM
According to Bill Gunston, Nikolai Niikolayevich Polikarpov created roughly 99% of Soviet trainer, fighter and reconnaissance aircraft up to 1941.
These included the Po-2 which was possibly built in greater numbers in more variants than any other in history.

Was it Polikarpov's design bureau that worked from the Gulag in the late 30's, early 40's ?

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 16, 2020, 07:13:23 AM

Was it Polikarpov's design bureau that worked from the Gulag in the late 30's, early 40's ?

Tupolev did. I am not sure for Polikarpov, even if he had fallen in disgrace with Stalin, IIRC.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on March 16, 2020, 12:51:35 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 16, 2020, 07:13:23 AM

Tupolev did. I am not sure for Polikarpov, even if he had fallen in disgrace with Stalin, IIRC.

Yup, that was it. My memory fail.

Thank you sir  :thumbsup:

Weaver

Just reading a somewhat dubious book about the Panzer Corps in WWII, and if it's to be believed, Hitler was firmly convinced that the Russian Navy had carriers in the Black Sea that could threaten the Rumanian oil fields if he didn't capture the Black Sea ports by land.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Closed this up today.  ICM have modelled a prototypically correct (AFAIAW) interior framework around the cockpit plus details like the breeches of the upper two nose mounted guns.  This is all very nice but I found it didn't fit (I am happy to accept the blame here - but location of parts was very very vague and instructions unclear).  And even if it had fitted you can't see bugger all when it's closed up.
I suppose I should be prepared for this sort of thing with short run kits.  I've built enough of them by now.  But I always think that this time it'll be different.  This time it'll fit like the instructions think it should and i'll have an amazingly detailed cockpit that is clearly visible.  Yeah, right.
I should have ignored the kit parts and knocked up a simple solid floor bridging the gap between the two sides.

Anyway, enough whinging.  Here is Scale Reference Riot Squad Officer with the works so far.

Polikarpov I-15 WIP 22-03-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

The Polikarpov fighters all seem to be rather small.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est