The Royal Navy's First Phantom

Started by NARSES2, March 15, 2020, 07:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Well the innards are all finished and fitted and the fuselage is still a good fit on testing  :thumbsup: Not normally the case with a resin cockpit tub. I've also trimmed and test fitted the vacform canopy and that would appear to be a decent fit as well. If the wings are then it's a really nice, and simple, kit for its age (indeed any age if I'm honest  :thumbsup:)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Fuselage is together and it was a good fit, closed nicely around the cockpit  :thumbsup: Will need a little p.s.r. but not much at all.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Great idea ! Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

I now have a complete airframe and p.s.r. is about to commence. Will need a bit more on the wing root compared to the fuselage seam, but nothing to drastic.

NARSES2

First round of p.s.r. complete. Will need a second all over, possibly a third on one of the wing roots.

Also got the vacform canopy all masked up and trimmed. Carefully did it as they only provide one with the kit.

DogfighterZen

Looking at that kit reminds i still have a banshee in it's box waiting to be finished... :banghead:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

PSR continues. The kit is not a bad fit on the whole it's just the wing fuselage joint that requires some work. Because of the way Special Hobby have tackled it you end up having to put the miss-match on the upper surface rather than the lower. If you put the miss-match on the lower surface it would be a horrendous fix. I'm nearly there but I've got some absolutely tiny air bubbles in the surface of the final putty layer so probably break the Mr Surfacer 500 out.

The wing/fuselage joint is an interesting one in the way SH have tried to tackle it and I'm wondering if I missed something ? If I built another, which I would, I'd certainly tackle the fitting of the wings in a different way which would probably make my life easier.

PR19_Kit

I'd have arranged the miss-match on the underside and have done with it.  ;D ;)

Who's going to pick it up anyway?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 02, 2020, 06:35:59 AM
The wing/fuselage joint is an interesting one in the way SH have tried to tackle it and I'm wondering if I missed something ? If I built another, which I would, I'd certainly tackle the fitting of the wings in a different way which would probably make my life easier.

IIRC, the one you've got is one of MPM's early tools - early 90s? - rereleased later with resin parts.  They've done a brand spanking new tool which should be easier.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 02, 2020, 09:06:18 AM
]

IIRC, the one you've got is one of MPM's early tools - early 90s? - rereleased later with resin parts.  They've done a brand spanking new tool which should be easier.

Yup it's the early one released with resin parts Lee.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 02, 2020, 07:37:18 AM
I'd have arranged the miss-match on the underside and have done with it.  ;D ;)

Who's going to pick it up anyway?

Seriously that would have involved far more work.

NARSES2

NARSES2

I give up with Photobucket  :banghead:

Some days the sash is visible others it isn't  :banghead: :banghead:

scooter

Looks awesome even with the PB graffiti.

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 09, 2020, 06:11:35 AM

And might I recommend Imgur?  Its free with no limit on how many or what size images you post on it.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on April 09, 2020, 06:18:00 AM
Looks awesome even with the PB graffiti.

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 09, 2020, 06:11:35 AM

And might I recommend Imgur?  Its free with no limit on how many or what size images you post on it.

I just posted a couple of images from there Scoot. Once I worked out how to post the actual pics. it was  :thumbsup:

AndrewF

Once you've uploaded an image to Imgur, right-click on the image and choose "open image in new tab" then copy the URL from the new tab. Then post the URL in the image tags here and that's it.