a different kind of Hornet

Started by Scotaidh, March 15, 2020, 09:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

I've wanted to get in on a GB for some time, now, but on-going projects and no ideas on what to make have kept me out - until now.   :wacko:

Years ago, in the early 80s, I bought a 1/48 model of the F-18 prototype.  Several moves after it was built, and I lost one of the wings.  Several years after that, I decided to re-wing it, but not as it was.  I had plexiglass and files, and new wings were made.

I don't know where that model is now, but the memory of it lives on, and will again grace my display cabinet after this GB.

Here's the model - in 1/72 this time

Here's the plan, more or less.

:)

Difficulty - I've already robbed this model of some of the LERX.  I used them in my Rebuilt Cutlass.  Replacements will be found, one way or another, possibly in the form of canards - we shall see, and you'll know when I do.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Interesting and intriguing at the same time  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

After some heavy-duty filing to get the wing airfoil to actually be an airfoil, the wings are in place and initial PSR done.

A lot of folks will tell you, in excruciating detail, about the hazards of X-acto knives, whether falling or mis-giuidance.  I have to say, I've had my share of that, to be sure, but more finger damage has been caused by holding small plastic parts whilst trying to get just that last wee bit smooth with a double-mill file.  :/

I'm still undecided about the LERX - as you can see, these were truncated.  The removed bits were used in my Cutlass build, but now I need something to replace them.  I'm leaning to scratch-built shovel-ends - bascially flat ramps - but small fixed canards are a strong contender.

Your thoughts on this would be welcome.  No guarantees, of course!  :)

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Dizzyfugu

Without the LERXs the Hornet does not look bad, though?

Scotaidh

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 18, 2020, 08:56:17 AM
Without the LERXs the Hornet does not look bad, though?

No, doesn't look bad, just ... those are flat vertical faces, that's all.  I think they need streamlining.  :)

Scotaidh

There were a couple of reasons this project stalled.  The undercarriage collapsed on one side; the pilot's seat mysteriously vanished; I had to dig through various kits to find a suitable pilot. 

I had to change the model to "In Flight" mode - and this after super-glue reinforcing the undercarriage legs and doors.  :/  There was much PSR. 

Then paint.  What scheme?  Am I, in fact, capable of a decent rendition of Raspberry Ripple, using a hairy stick?  The picture shows the result of that conversation ... 

Some while later, whilst on my hands and knees searching for something else, when there it was, apparently rejected by the carper Monster - the pilot's seat!  The good Lord only knows how I didn't steam-roller the thing with my office chair.

Finding a pilot was ... frustrating.  As you well know, 1/72 pilot figures run the gamut of Dwarf - Giant, and manufacturers are not consistent in their chosen race of pilot.   You can see the Chosen One in the background, sitting quietly on his Large push-pin. 

I have hopes of finishing within the deadline.

Nearly jinxed myself, there ...

AndrewF

Scotaidh

Weapons in place.  As you can see, I went with IRIS-Ts on the wing-tips, and Meteors on the fuselage.  The Meteors are still in trials tests, so I thought them suitable for an aircraft that is itself in trials.  :)

silverwindblade

This is gorgeous <3 And gives me ideas to do something with an F-18 I have in my stash.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Captain Canada

Crazy how much that front shot looks like an X-29. I wonder why lol
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

Call sign *HAS* to be Red 5...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 15, 2020, 03:14:04 PM

Call sign *HAS* to be Red 5...

I thought Nigel Mansell owned that one.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

And done!  I was trying to get a good shot of NAS 801's insignia - the phoenix rising from an omega, but I think one really has to know beforehand what it is to decipher it ...

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That DOES look good, specially in the FAA scheme.  :thumbsup:

It immediately said 'Hawker P.1214' to me, for obvious reasons.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit