Douglas F4D-3 Skyray

Started by DogfighterZen, March 20, 2020, 10:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

That's one amazing job you've made of that!  :thumbsup:

The blue trim and the stars really make an impact, a superb build.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Thank you, guys! :drink:

That was my first attempt at that type of scheme and i must say i really like it. I know that there are many Tamiya Skyrays done like that so i thought it would be interesting to mix things up. :wacko: :thumbsup:
The decals did give me some trouble as the dimensions on the Tamiya kit must be a bit different from this much older Airfix kit and the decals came up short on the tail area. All i had to do was to grab a hairy stick and Tamiya's X-4 to cover the bits where there was no decal. ;)

Quote from: zenrat on April 22, 2020, 03:49:55 AM
I can't help thinking that I liked it better before though.  Sorry.

Sorry to know that, mate... and at the same time, that's a good thing. What would this world be like if all of us liked the same things? :thumbsup:

Reading the backstory again proves that it was getting way too late for me to be doing stuff like that...  :banghead: i'll have to go back and change a couple of details... :rolleyes:
Well, i do have another idea for a naval conversion but i'm not sure if i'll have enough time, have to check the dates... might even go for that too... :cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

She is certainly a looker  :thumbsup:

That canopy would look good on a "normal" Skyray I think ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 22, 2020, 07:25:32 AM
She is certainly a looker  :thumbsup:

That canopy would look good on a "normal" Skyray I think ?

Glad you like it, Chris!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I believe it would look good on the normal Skyray, and it really should have had one, IMHO, that is... ;) :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Love it!!! I'm definitely a fan. Skyrays are neat to begin with but modding one opens up lots of possibility and I dig the way you went about it.
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 22, 2020, 09:10:53 AM
Love it!!! I'm definitely a fan. Skyrays are neat to begin with but modding one opens up lots of possibility and I dig the way you went about it.

Glad you like it, brotha!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I just wish there was a good plastic kit of the Skylancer available...  :-\

nighthunter

At first, I didn't like what appeared to be an extremely pointed nose on such a curvaceous aircraft, but once the paint was on, she looks fantastic!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

DogfighterZen

Quote from: nighthunter on April 23, 2020, 08:17:41 AM
At first, I didn't like what appeared to be an extremely pointed nose on such a curvaceous aircraft, but once the paint was on, she looks fantastic!

Thanks, mate! :thumbsup: I thought of adding a pitot tube on the nose but it seemed to make it to pointy and i came to the conclusion that it had to be a half way between pointy and round so i tried my best to keep the nose's shape balanced with the rest of the design.

ChernayaAkula

Turned out great!  :wub: A right looker!  :wub: :wub:

Amazing how a new canopy and pointy nose make the Skyray look fifteen years younger.  ;D Certainly doesn't look like a 1950s' design any longer.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

NARSES2

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 24, 2020, 09:42:23 PM

Amazing how a new canopy and pointy nose make the Skyray look fifteen years younger.  ;D Certainly doesn't look like a 1950s' design any longer.

Certainly does. I'm thinking of getting another, I'm not a jet builder usually but enjoyed the Tamiya kit, and then simply giving her a new canopy inspired by this build  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.