What should we NOT still see on models these days?

Started by The Rat, March 20, 2020, 04:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Given the knowledge that manufacturers should have, and with the molding technology available today, what sort of things do you think we should be able to rectify?

Couple of things come to mind for me:

Fabric texture. This just shows ignorance, in my opinion. I have seen many fabric flying things, and I can recall only two types on which you can see a fabric texture: Parachutes and hang gliders. If it's a powered aircraft, that fabric is slathered with so many layers of dope that it's as smooth and shiny as any aircraft made of wood or metal. Besides which, if scaled up, those imitation fabric surfaces would be so rough as to preclude safe flight, it would be like the ice and frost that we now take so much care to remove before flying.

Raised or recessed panel lines on aircraft that had overlapping panels. Surely with the technology today it should be possible to imitate the proper surface. On smaller scales it wouldn't really matter, but with some manufacturers turning out large scale aircraft, especially 1/24th, I think it should be possible.

Add your own, and discuss.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Rivets, or should I say RIVETS!

Most of them are so huge (FROG/Revell Shackleton MR3.............) that they'd be more in place in a Clyde shipyard.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 20, 2020, 06:26:03 PM
Rivets, or should I say RIVETS!

Most of them are so huge (FROG/Revell Shackleton MR3.............) that they'd be more in place in a Clyde shipyard.  :banghead:

First took it out of the box about 50 years ago, and I think it drew blood on my fingers.  ;D ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

kerick

I have an old P-51 kit in 1/32nd scale where the rivets would have to be the size of baseballs.

Also, wheel wells so shallow they couldn't possibly hold the landing gear.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Joe C-P

Excessively thick plastic "glass". 

Speaking of recessed panel lines, such especially do not belong on 1/700 scale aircraft!

And the raised lines on ship's hulls, such thick seams would be really bad for the water flow along the hull, plus they are never aligned to the real panels.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

The Rat

Quote from: kerick on March 20, 2020, 09:05:30 PMAlso, wheel wells so shallow they couldn't possibly hold the landing gear.

Yep, every time I look at the Matchbox Wellesleys I have on the bench...  :banghead:

The Rat

Quote from: JoeP on March 21, 2020, 07:52:42 AM
Excessively thick plastic "glass". 

Speaking of recessed panel lines, such especially do not belong on 1/700 scale aircraft!

And the raised lines on ship's hulls, such thick seams would be really bad for the water flow along the hull, plus they are never aligned to the real panels.

'Twould be nice if some manufacturers would include an optional vac-formed canopy for those who wish to use it.

And yeah, panel lines on teeny scales are just silly. On many real aircraft you can't even see the panel lines from any appreciable distance.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on March 21, 2020, 10:33:46 AM

And yeah, panel lines on teeny scales are just silly. On many real aircraft you can't even see the panel lines from any appreciable distance.

Perhaps they're guidelines for those who INSIST on pre-shading the panel lines?  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Over complicated  parts assemblies.  Especially  in landing gear.  They can  and should  be made in fewer  parts  to help the structural strength  and to stop the loss/ ruining of intricate tiny parts.  Especially  by puppet  fingered idiots like me :banghead:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

major

Quote from: chrisonord on March 21, 2020, 02:35:47 PM
Over complicated  parts assemblies.  Especially  in landing gear.  They can  and should  be made in fewer  parts  to help the structural strength  and to stop the loss/ ruining of intricate tiny parts.  Especially  by puppet  fingered idiots like me :banghead:

I agree wholeheartedly with that!  :thumbsup:

And put the little man/woman person BACK in the box, and a stand too!

The Wooksta!

Quote from: chrisonord on March 21, 2020, 02:35:47 PM

Ditto.  Whilst the Eduard Spitfires are absolute marvels and have a quality that makes Mr Tamiya want to commit hare-kare out of shame that his products can never match it, they have some incredibly fiddly assembly - the wheels, FFS, each come in FOUR pieces.  Really?  And they got the post war 3 spoke hub option wrong too.  The rest is fiddly, especially the radiators and the seat is in 3 parts for some reason unknown to anyone.

Despite all the complaining, I still have a 3 figure sum of Eduard Spitfires in the stash...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kerick

Quote from: major on March 21, 2020, 05:49:56 PM

And put the little man/woman person BACK in the box, and a stand too!

A respectable pilot figure would be great! Doesn't have to be in the cockpit. Standing next to the boarding ladder would be very nice.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

AeroplaneDriver

Inaccurate weapons.

I can't remember the kit, possibly the Revell 1/48 Tornado F.3, possibly another newish kit, where the AIM-9s looked like something out of an old Lindberg kit.  They resembled Lima/Mike Sidewinders only in the rudimentary layout. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

Car kits.
Floating alternators on engines.  Is it so hard to mould a bracket on it?
Seat belts.  IRL they used to be optional but not for a long time.  In fact, how about making the interior continue up higher than the bottom of the side windows?

Aircraft kits.
If you are not going to put in a pilot then at least mould some seat belts on the seat.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Indeed, pilot and crew figures are always a welcome feature in aircraft kits but i agree with Fred, if no pilot is included then at least have seat belts. And speaking of those, they could be separate parts from the seat, considering the current level of the molding technology.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"