Water Scorpion

Started by Weaver, March 21, 2020, 03:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Okay, well better late than never, and to nobody's great surprise (given recent discussions), I am embarking on this:

Obviously, I'm going to put a Jeep in the back of a Scorpion... er, sorry, I meant I'm going to put a Scorpion turret on a Buffalo hull. The idea is that sometime in the 1970s/80s a military with LVT-4s (front engine+MGs+tail ramp) decided that they wanted something equivalent to an LVT(A)-4 (rear engine+75mm+roof) but didn't have any, so they got creative. I've given up trying to figure out how heavy a Scorpion turret is, but it's aluminium so it's probably okay.

Havn't yet decided which country does this. Possible options are:

1. Entirely made-up country
2. Real country with a credible story
3. Real country with a mickey-take story

We shall see...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

JayBee

Thinking 2. I wouyld go for Middle East, they have the money to do it.
:thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Weaver

Quote from: JayBee on March 21, 2020, 03:31:33 PM
Thinking 2. I wouyld go for Middle East, they have the money to do it.
:thumbsup:

On the other hand, the Middle East has the money to not to need to do it. Also, most of them don't have a need for much of a Marine Corps. I'm thinking of places more like the Phillipines or various places in Central America or the Carribean, who both need marines and who have a history of keeping WWII hardware in service forever and modifying it extensively.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Leading Observer

How about an African country, one subject to an arms embargo where necessity is the mother of invention?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Old Wombat

Australia has a history of putting Saladin & Scorpion turrets on M113's. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 21, 2020, 04:38:45 PM
How about an African country, one subject to an arms embargo where necessity is the mother of invention?

How many of them need marines though? Remember LVTs aren't great tanks: they're big, poor on hard surfaces and thinly-armoured at best.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 21, 2020, 04:41:12 PM
Australia has a history of putting Saladin & Scorpion turrets on M113's. ;)

Indeed, and Canada put them on MOWAG Piranhas. The Phillipines also made their own copies of the M113 MRV, which is what put me onto them as a possible user. They also seem to have a habit of buying exotic vehicle types where they end up as the only user.

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

The Martian People's Front already have a history of using something similar...

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=40129.msg671322#msg671322
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on March 21, 2020, 05:53:01 PM
The Martian People's Front already have a history of using something similar...
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=40129.msg671322#msg671322

Nice one - I'd forgotten about that. :thumbsup:

Funnily enough, the reason why I got a Buffalo in the first place was because the hull shape sort-of reminded me of some vehicles in a Fred Gambino sci-fi painting.

- Indiana Jones

kerick

Trashcanistan! They have a whooping 5 miles of beach to defend. The occasional shipwreck survivor who washes ashore is the only source of outside currency.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rheged

There's a lot of swamp around the Niger delta, along the BurmaMyanmar coasts and rivers, even the Bangladeshi Ganges .  There's also the lower portions of ANY great river in South America.  Lots of places to consider!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on March 22, 2020, 03:43:06 AM
There's a lot of swamp around the Niger delta, along the BurmaMyanmar coasts and rivers, even the Bangladeshi Ganges .  There's also the lower portions of ANY great river in South America.  Lots of places to consider!!

That's a fair point: LVTs were originally invented as swamp rescue vehicles and the French used them in that kind of environment in Indo-China.

There's an option 3 possibility that depends on this fact too... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

In case anyone's wondering, today has been a bit of a dead loss building-wise, since my auntie's been in hospital again, and unusually (but understandably) they're discharging her later today (Sunday) so I've been waiting for phone calls and havn't wanted to get into anything I can't put down.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Well that turned into an evening of elder-wrangling - details not required. No modelling done....

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

There isn't much of Bangladesh which isn't river delta.

Hope Auntie is OK H.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on March 23, 2020, 01:10:28 AM
There isn't much of Bangladesh which isn't river delta.

Hope Auntie is OK H.

Was hanging on the 111 line (NHS non-emergency) for over an hour without a reply until we gave up, took a different tack, and it turned out to be the right one (we think). God help you if you actually need it...

- Indiana Jones