Royal Navy FRADU Skyhawk FG.6

Started by AeroplaneDriver, March 21, 2020, 06:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Major construction done and a coat of Tamiya white primer on.  In addition to leaving off the hump I left of the various ECM bumps and lumps on the nose for a sleeker profile.  I really like the look of the larger M canopy without the hump and with the cleaner nose. 

Now the big decision.  I'm pretty set on a FRADU or Yoevilton trials aircraft, but can't decide between EDSG over White with full color markings, overall EDSG with two color tactical markings, or overall Medium Sea Gray with low viz markings.

Decisions, decisions....

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

So this kit has been sitting unfinished on my bench for exactly a year while other parts of life got in the way, so I'm treating this build as a "skills refresher" just to get it off the bench as I have a few other projects, RW and Whif that I want to move on to.  Tonight I broke out the airbrush to do a little preshading.

Turned out to be a bit of a waste of time, because in the interest of time I went with allover Medium Sea Grey from a Tamiya rattlecan, and I think I got a bit heavy handed with it.  I know it's a boring color, but the markings will be full color roundels to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of FRADU in 1997.  It's hard to see in this pic but the rudder is painted silver between the external ribs as part of the Silver Anniversary scheme.  Probably not going to get much more than that and full color markings unless I find some inspiration in the decal stash. 

zenrat

And I was was just going to vote for the EDSG over White.  D'oh!

Still looks good though.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: zenrat on March 24, 2020, 01:44:38 AM
And I was was just going to vote for the EDSG over White.  D'oh!

Still looks good though.

:thumbsup:

I have to be honest, EDSG over White was my preference too...but I just want this off the bench and didn't feel like doing the masking.  I'm liking the look of it so far though.  Even having second thoughts about the full color markings and considering low-vis.  Thats not something you see very often on an RN Skyhawk Whif. 

PR19_Kit

I hope it has the little nose light, like all self-respecting FRADU Hunters?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 24, 2020, 05:16:33 AM
I hope it has the little nose light, like all self-respecting FRADU Hunters?  ;)

Of course it will have the Harley light!   That's the main reason I left all the ECM gubbins off. 

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 24, 2020, 09:34:59 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 24, 2020, 05:16:33 AM

Of course it will have the Harley light!   That's the main reason I left all the ECM gubbins off.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Today I managed to get the decaling done.  I'm pretty happy with how it is turning out.  Nothing fancy but FRADU aircraft were always pretty basic in the markings, this one only having three-color roundels and a little splash of silver on the rudder to commemorate the FRADU 25th Anniversary in 1997. 

Tomorrow I'll get the fiddly bits on and some minimal weathering, then maybe get a stand together if I can round up the materials at home.  If not it'll be waiting for the delivery fairy for a few days.   

Looks like lots of modeling time ahead...got the official word today that my fleet  (E190) will be doing no training whatsoever in April or May.  So far April is just a month off with pay...we'll see what happens come May.  I'm safe with my seniority, but worried about some of my coworkers.   :-\

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Looks good! Doesn't have to be complex. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

Very nice,  the scooter  certainly suits the  colour scheme  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

AeroplaneDriver

Final update before she's done. It is 99% finished, just a few very fiddly bits left off (pitot tubes, tiny antennae, etc) until I have a stand ready for it, which hopefully will be tomorrow. 

The sharp eyed among you may notice a lack of seat...Since this is an RN Skyhawk it will have an MB seat (one of the very few mods made to the RN's A-4M fleet).  I need to dig through the stash to find a suitable pilot figure and I'm holding off fitting the seat until I see how much fettling it will take to get a pilot in there.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]