Serious pondering occurring

Started by chrisonord, March 27, 2020, 04:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Due to this lockdown we need to endure  and  the boredom that comes with it. I have been  going  through what kits  I  could  build without  too much difficulty.  Ive narrowed it down,as a few I  have  taken out to build have  been put back due to difficulties  putting  parts  where they should  go. Biggest example so far, the AZ models  Let Morava L-200. The windows  I  am really  struggling to get to  fit in the fuselage  and stay there. Anyway enough  straying from the subject, has anyone here  built the  new revell shackleton mr3 and the airfix mr2 yet? I am thinking  perhaps a  bigger  kit would be  easier for me, but there's still a lot of small  pieces to  get annoyed with. Either  this or my hasegawa  B-47, which I will have to make room for when  built.  Any  advice  on the shackleton's  would  be brilliant, thankyou .
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

chrisonord

Spelling  now sorted out, I  really  need to  start proof reading my posts, ad the read like the police man from Allo Allo is saying  something.
Chris

The Wooksta!

Haven't touched the Revell MR.3 as it's going to be a parts donor for the proposed Avro Trader (Tudor with a nose gear and Griffons) but I loathed their AEW.2.  The Airfix MR.2 I really enjoyed, but it can be fiddly in places..
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

chrisonord

Cheers Lee,
These kits were  given to me by a friend  whose  son won't  build them so technically they  stand me at nothing, but I would like to build one without  making a  mess of it. They are  both the  recent  issues of the  shackleton  and have the  gun  armament  which is  nice.  I  just  don't want to  get  so far into building one and run aground  with it.
Chris

The Wooksta!

Both kits have their advocates and detractors.  For me personally, the Airfix has a better fit, looks more correct shapewise and the cockpit internals have more detail.  Some have had fit issues with it, but the only problem I had was the lower edge of the entry hatch fouling the floor and preventing the fuselage closing properly.  Removing part of the door that is hidden by the fuselage fixed that.

Put it this way.  I finished the Airfix with another trio part assembled. My first Revell is is mouldering in a box with basic construction barely finished - I've yet to attach the wings. The other two I have purely as wing/u/c donors for an Avro Tudor or three.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

chrisonord

Cheers Lee,  I  might  start  building it  a bit at a time and  put it away  for a bit then do some more.  I would like to build the b 47 as I want to do that in the white with  sea grey  upper  surfaces  paint  scheme  of the late 50's  early  60 shackleton's.

The Wooksta!

Best way but I think you'll find it goes together with few problems and it should progress quite quickly.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

loupgarou

You are going too fast forward! I have yet to start my Frog one.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

chrisonord

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 27, 2020, 03:20:24 PM
Best way but I think you'll find it goes together with few problems and it should progress quite quickly.
Its my fingers that are the main cause of my problems with building stuff these  days, sometimes I am ok and can do stuff  reasonably ok, and then  I have days like I am using  chop sticks  , as my fingers are that uncooperative . It gets  very  frustrating, and I end up  losing my  enthusiasm to  build  anything.

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on March 27, 2020, 03:39:16 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 27, 2020, 03:20:24 PM
Its my fingers that are the main cause of my problems with building stuff these  days, sometimes I am ok and can do stuff  reasonably ok, and then  I have days like I am using  chop sticks  , as my fingers are that uncooperative . It gets  very  frustrating, and I end up  losing my  enthusiasm to  build  anything.

Chris I have something similar although it's for a different medical reason I think. I to was getting very frustrated, but I eventually learnt how to deal with it. When things get iffy I walk away rather than pressing on as I was doing. All pressing on was doing was making me more and more frustrated and was fast becoming a viscous circle. Learning to walk away was difficult but is a great help. Then when my fingers start to co-operate I put my book down and return to the modelling desk. Tends to be slightly shorter, more relaxed sessions than previously and I've had to learn to accept that I can't build to the same standard as I used to be able to, but, and it's a big but, it works for me and I'm enjoying my modelling again  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Airfix Shack interior is fiddly with all the seats and desks and what have you.  But they can be left out because you won't see them when its closed up (my plan when I eventually get to it).
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Thankyou for your input  guys, I am  trying not to  give  up on this hobby  as all yhe others I had involved a lot of physical activity, ie kayaking and cycling, both of which I can't  do anymore.  Even riding my motorcycle has no enjoyment anymore, and I have  ridden  motorbikes for 32 years  now, so I need something to do ;D ;D
When I build kits I end up  building a few at a time  staggered if you will as I  like to be  continually busy with  something.  Waiting  between  glue curing and painting  etc can make my enthusiasm wane also. This and the fact  my  fingers  feel like they are someone else's  at times  can be a nightmare.
Chris

DogfighterZen

The sports you used to do are also some of what i did in my teens, especially Kayaking and bike riding. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'd say that you should do it like Narses2 said, just take it easy and don't stress about it when your fingers aren't cooperating. Nothing worse than getting frustrated with something you love to do.
It happened a lot to me when i rode my bmx, whenever i got hurt and could ride for a number of days or weeks. It got me so frustrated to get on the bike and not being able to even ride up a ramp, let alone having to lay in bed for weeks with a broken leg... :banghead:
You'll find your way of doing things, i'm sure. :cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"