Mirage F1P

Started by PR19_Kit, March 27, 2020, 03:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The Special Hobby F1 has lots of very fine engraved detail, which is a pity as any PSR work means you have to re-engrave the devil out of it to restore that detail.  :banghead:

The wing joints have notable steps in them where they meet the fuselage, and the real thing is very smooth all over, so I've done two lots of PSR there so far. Looks like a mammoth re-engraving session ahead, and I hate that almost as much as I do PSR. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I simply work  on the basis that from 72 foot away you can't see panel lines  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The last PSR's done, the panels have been rescribed and the last coat of primer has been applied.

I think I'm ready for colour coats, if only I could think of a scheme that DOESN'T include grey!

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Scotaidh

What about a South African colour scheme?  I don't think they used much grey ...

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Dizzyfugu

...but I assume that some rather naval livery is intended?  :o

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 02, 2020, 02:22:10 AM

...but I assume that some rather naval livery is intended?  :o

Exactly Thomas.  :thumbsup:

So by Fred's rules it has to have some blue in there somewhere.  ;D

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Not so much a rule as a guideline.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I may invent a totally new Aeronavale colour scheme, one which majors on Humbrol 14 of course.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

IIRC, some Étendards deployed on carrier in the Mediterranean carried not the usual dark bluish-grey/white livery, but rather bright blue upper surfaces - a bit like PRU Blue. Not certain whether this was intentionally or just a painting accident, though.

PR19_Kit

It'll do as a starter for me. Thanks very much.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've been working on the stores for the F1P, and while the Magic missiles are fiddly, and the ECM pods just needed tidying, the underwing tanks are ATROCIOUS!  :banghead:

Not only are the two halves of each tank different sizes, so that they need lots of filing and PSR after assembly, the rather complex fins don't fit the tanks in the slightest! In the pic you can see the massive gaps where they meet up to the tail of the tank, and they need a lot of PSR as a result. For some reason SH have added a small part to the inside of each fin which is meant to fit in a slot in the tank, but they're far too large, and I've had to cut them off. That means MORE PSR to fill in the gap!

I wish I'd decided on something other than the tanks to go in the inner pylons now. :(

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Perhaps a set of tanks from a different manufacturer would be better, such as Airfix or Hasegawa?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....