Mirage F1P

Started by PR19_Kit, March 27, 2020, 03:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I don't mind wheels as long as the hub rim is well delineated. Then I paint the hub and when dry initially run some very heavily thinned RLM 66 onto the tyre which tends to then flow around the hub. I paint the rest of the tyre once that dries.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Hm, that's a good idea, I'll try that on the Barracuda. I'm using some resin wheels on that so they should be well moulded.

What colour is RLM 66 please? I don't actually have any here, but I may have an equivalent.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 20, 2020, 06:44:27 AM
Hm, that's a good idea, I'll try that on the Barracuda. I'm using some resin wheels on that so they should be well moulded.

What colour is RLM 66 please? I don't actually have any here, but I may have an equivalent.

Sorry Kit, RLM 66 is just a very dark grey the Luftwaffe used for cockpit interiors late on once they switched from 02 the greeny/grey colour. Any dark grey will do, as long as it's grey and not got a hint of blue in as a lot of them have. Especially some of the British ones.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

OK thanks. I've got some Tamiya ones like that I think.

I'm still getting used to those HUGE pots.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Humbrol 92 which I converted from the old Authentic Colour HG 6

or

X201

or

GS H70

That enough?

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/urbans-color-reference-charts-part-i/urbans-colour-reference-charts-germany/

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Looks good Alastair, thanks.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

A teaser progress pic of the F1P.

Most of the wheels are on, one nosewheel needs its attachment hole re-drilling, but no gear doors yet. All the doors, and stores are painted but the doors have to go on first as the big wing tanks prevent access to attach the doors.

Only the left side is fully decalled so far though.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Uh, pretty! The different, non-radar nose really changes the usual look of the F.1!  :thumbsup:

Tophe

:wub: :wub: Oh, what a marvel!  :wub: :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Gondor

The nose section looks a little Alpha Jet to me. Looks dam good so far though.  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

It's entirely Etendard IVP actually, I used the entire photo nose from a IVM conversion.

When are manufacturers going to wise up about landing gear axles? It's no good making them scale size, they're made of STYRENE for crying out loud! Are you listening Revell, and others?  :banghead:

I've just had two of the axles on one side pf the F1P snap clean off, they're less than 1 mm dia. so they've got no chance standing up to putting the model down a few times during the build, they just fatigue. It doesn't matter if they're over scale thickness, you can't see the axles anyway, they're INSIDE the wheel hub! 

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

And a bit more research on the real subject wouldn't come amiss either Mr. Special Hobby!

The instructions tell you where to put the main and nose gear doors, some of them anyway, but omit the other main doors totally. But I figured out where they went from the shape of them and superglued them in place. Styrene cement won't work due to all the paint in the way.

THEN I find out that the Mirage F1 has most of its doors closed, even when it's on the ground! The large nose gear door and the two smaller main gear doors are always shut unless the gear is cycling, darn it.  :banghead:

So my F1P is modelled in 'maintenance mode' while the matelots set the oleo pressures and damping settings, ok?

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Maybe the Marine Nationale ones don't have the wheels-down gear doors closing programming? (backstory covers, et alia) :unsure:

Looks really good, Kit! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Since I posted that I've found a few pics showing the main nose gear door open, and one showing them ALL open.  :o

But of course you never know what the situation was when the pics were taken.

All the doors, stores and decals are on now, so construction is done. Just some varnishing and a bit of paint touch-up to do and that's it.  ;D

Pics this evening probably.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 23, 2020, 05:24:31 AM

And a bit more research on the real subject wouldn't come amiss either Mr. Special Hobby!

The same could be said about the builder assuming that the manufacturer got it right, then again if you want to whiff something it doesn't have to be right.

The number of times I watch people build an Airfix TSR2 with all the undercarriage doors open.....

Gondor