Mirage F1P

Started by PR19_Kit, March 27, 2020, 03:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Maybe so, but I'm 120 miles away from my main source of such stuff at the moment. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Zero-Sen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 03, 2020, 07:01:50 AM
... the rather complex fins don't fit the tanks in the slightest! In the pic you can see the massive gaps where they meet up to the tail of the tank, and they need a lot of PSR as a result. For some reason SH have added a small part to the inside of each fin which is meant to fit in a slot in the tank, but they're far too large, and I've had to cut them off. ...

Perhaps the gaps a due to the way the fins are attached to the tank at a large anhedral angle.

I hope this helps.
http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/mirage_f-1cr/images/mirage_f-1cr_25_of_49.jpg

Dizzyfugu

Why not simple leave them away, or replace them with simpler (single-piece) fins from styrene sheet?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 03, 2020, 10:42:32 AM

Why not simple leave them away, or replace them with simpler (single-piece) fins from styrene sheet?

I did think of the latter choice, but by then I'd glued them on and it was a tad late. :(

They're very characteristic of the type, so I didn't fancy leaving them off. Viz the Spanish example here, which also has the chaff dispensers above the ventral fins which I've added on the model.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Actually I think you're right Alastair. I'll have to buy another F1 kit from ebay, there's plenty for sale there.

It's almost impossible to PSR the upper surface of those fins, the outer fins get in the way, and then it's equally impossible to sand the putty away.

Who knows which F1 kit has tanks with integral fins please? Revell, Airfix, Heller, Haswgawa?

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 05, 2020, 06:32:33 AM

Actually I think you're right Alastair. I'll have to buy another F1 kit from ebay, there's plenty for sale there.

It's almost impossible to PSR the upper surface of those fins, the outer fins get in the way, and then it's equally impossible to sand the putty away.

Who knows which F1 kit has tanks with integral fins please? Revell, Airfix, Heller, Haswgawa?

To hand I have an Italeri Sepcat Jaguar "A" which used to have two of the required tanks in it. The split is vertical for the tank half's and the fins, complete with end plates, fit into groves in the tank sides so far less faff.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

'Far les faff' sounds good to me!

Thanks for the pointer, I'll see if there's something similar going for auction.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Heller's F1s have a tank with the fins on it, Kit.  :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Do they? I took a look and I found only kits with seperate fins - but these were the new boxings, for the different variants. Do you perhaps mean the original kit (with optional single- or two-seater cockpits)? I also checked the Heller Jaguar, but it also comes with suitable tanks but seperate fins.

rickshaw

It was, I suppose the original kit 'cause that was what I used.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Gondor

I have found a pair of tanks that meet with Kit's approval so they shall be posted to him the next time I am out other than to call the cat in!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

The Hasegawa F1C kit just has one tank included.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

F1s carried one MONSTER tank on the centreline point, and two smaller ones on the wing points. The centre line tank, called the 'Iranian Tank' for some reason, was finless, whereas the wing tanks had those severely anhedralled fins with tip fins too.

Anyway Alastair's found some Italeri Jaguar tanks that are the correct type and the fins are much more sensibly constructed. They'll be on the way to me when he can get out and about, thank you Alastair.  :thumbsup:

I LOVE being on this place, we're such a helpful lot, aren't we?  ;D

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Hasegawa have fins on the big central tank.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I think that's one of the smaller tanks, but loaded onto the centre line rack.

The Iranian tank is quite markedly curved along their centre line.

Regards
Kit