Mirage F1P

Started by PR19_Kit, March 27, 2020, 03:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on April 10, 2020, 07:17:07 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 10, 2020, 06:08:35 AM

Getting there but slowly, but it's not as if I'm pushed for time.............

Said he who asked for an extension to the GB already....  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Well I'm not, I may get an extra two weeks.  ;D :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

See the last post on my Double Pancake thread. Everything's come to a halt for now. :(

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=47537.new#new
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I got fed up with just sitting there looking at the unfinished Mirage F1P and the Double Pancake so I decided to do something.

As most of the paint was already on the F1P I gave it a coat of Klear and started on the decals. I'd printed out the ones I needed for its Aeronavale squadron, which is Flotille 16F, the force's dedicated PR unit, plus some camera windows etc. The rest came from the SH decal sheet plus some tricolours and anchors from Berna Decals.

Sadly the anchors are a tad small, even for the Berna tricolours, but they're the only games in town for me so they'll have to do. More decals to go on yet, but it's not looking too bad so far.

And yes, the Aeronavale do only carry their anchored tricolours on the port wing, top and bottom. I have no idea why, they just do.

Also I now know why they never did operate naval Mirage F1s, there just isn't enough room aft of the wing to carry their usual 'MARINE' script and a tricolour. That's why the F1P's fuselage tricolour is on the intakes!

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 14, 2020, 02:00:59 PM

Also I now know why they never did operate naval Mirage F1s, there just isn't enough room aft of the wing to carry their usual 'MARINE' script and a tricolour.

They had a similar problem with their Skyrays  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Following Zenrat's 2nd rule of the 'In the Navy' GB, stating that every carrier borne entrant has to have a hook, I found that two of my models, the Mirage F1P and the Double Pancake, haven't got one of these essential devices.

Well, the Double Pancake had one from the single seater version, but that's patently stupid as it retracts into the TOP of the fuselage!  :banghead:

So I've built a couple of hooks for these two, a single arm one for the Mirage and a V armed one for the Pancake, mainly because it's got a tailwheel and a straight one hasn't anywhere to go. (It could retract into the top of the................no, that's just TOO silly!)

Regards
Kit

CammNut

Yes, the XF7U's hook was probably the mist bizarre creation is the history of aviation

PR19_Kit

Quote from: CammNut on April 17, 2020, 03:47:14 PM

Yes, the XF7U's hook was probably the mist bizarre creation is the history of aviation

I think you meant 'XF5U', didn't you?

But if you did I'm in total agreement, I just can't think why they did it like that, makes no sense at all.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Hmmm, after having finished painting the cockpit, well as far as I'm going to paint it anyway, it was time to glue on the canopies, all five parts of it.

Except the middle bits don't fit!  :banghead:

The bang seats are too tall and prevent the canopies closing, which may be OK if you want to model them open, but I don't, so it looks as if I'll have to file off the detail bits of the top of the bang seats and then repaint them, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............

I wouldn't mind too much if they were aftermarket bang seats, but they're out of the box! :(

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 19, 2020, 02:46:00 PM
Hmmm, after having finished painting the cockpit, well as far as I'm going to paint it anyway, it was time to glue on the canopies, all five parts of it.

Except the middle bits don't fit!  :banghead:

The bang seats are too tall and prevent the canopies closing, which may be OK if you want to model them open, but I don't, so it looks as if I'll have to file off the detail bits of the top of the bang seats and then repaint them, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............

I wouldn't mind too much if they were aftermarket bang seats, but they're out of the box! :(

Better to take the file to the bottom of the seat and lower it so you don't lose the detail and if you make a mess its hidden too  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on April 19, 2020, 03:24:17 PM

Better to take the file to the bottom of the seat and lower it so you don't lose the detail and if you make a mess its hidden too  :thumbsup:

If I hadn't already assembled, glued and painted the cockpit I could have, but that's impossible now. I'll have to slice the top off the seats, no other way. :(

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 19, 2020, 03:34:54 PM

If I hadn't already assembled, glued and painted the cockpit I could have, but that's impossible now. I'll have to slice the top off the seats, no other way. :(

That sucks... i thought that by being a recent kit, those problems would not come up...  :banghead:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 19, 2020, 03:34:54 PM

That'll do it

Perhaps cut the neck of the seat to lower the headrest?  :-\  Maybe not....

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Just painted all the wheels. I HATE paining wheels!  :banghead:

No matter how I do it, they always need 4-5 goes, first the silver hubs, then the black tyres. Then more silver to clean up the mistakes I made with the black, and so on and so on.............

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

That paint scheme with the mid waterline looks very good on the F.1C - it stretches the slender aircraft even more!  :thumbsup: Very pretty.

PR19_Kit

That was the plan, and at one time I thought of adding a light blue stripe along the joint line, but thought better of it.

Regards
Kit