DONE @p.2 +++ 1:72 Great Lakes SBG-3 of VS-6, USS Enterprise, 1938

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 31, 2020, 12:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Another one I found on my project list (and also in the stash) that's eligible for the GB: a colorful US Navy scout or torpedo bomber (depending on finding a torpedo and if it will actually fit under the model...  :rolleyes:) in clasic "yellow wings" livery, and basically a minimal conversion of a stock kit.

zenrat

Pre First World War?  Interesting.  Wright Flyer with a torpedo?
I suppose Langley's Aerodrome could be considered the first carrier aircraft as it was catapult launched from a house boat.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Oops, I meant "pre-WWII", sorry for the typo.  ;)

Dizzyfugu

Work makes good progress (again), hardware stage is almots finished, but I decided to make some (more) late changes. The basis for this project, christened Great Lakes "SCG", is this here:

A very nice kit, BTW, a vintage Heller model in the best sense with good details and fit.

The PZL.23 is such a typical "between the wars" design, and the generous glazing as well as the cockpit in the forward position made me think about a carrier-borne aircraft. At its core, it will be built mostly OOB, I just changed the engine into an R-2600 (slightly overpowered, yes, but it would IMHO have been the engine of choice in the intended era) and I will add a cover to the rear gunner station, for some additional crew comfort.

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Gondor

Looking at the picture of the Karas has given me an idea, as if I don't have enough to do  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

;D

So man ideas, and just one life... I know what you mean. Esp. the current GB spawns many ideas here, too, or brings projects from the list back to the front row. I have at least four further things that I could submit, and when I start thinking there might be more, new ones, too...  :rolleyes:

Gondor

The idea came to me when I saw the position of the pilot and the engine which reminded me of the Westland Lysander.....

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Ah, the Karas. The aircraft which was designed by two committees who didn't speak to each other, the Front Committee and the Rear Committee.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Those will have to go and will be replaced by a pair of light machine guns.

Currently, painting is underway.

Caveman

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 01, 2020, 06:15:00 AM
Ah, the Karas. The aircraft which was designed by two committees who didn't speak to each other, the Front Committee and the Rear Committee.  ;D

I think only one of the committees knew it was designing an aircraft.
secretprojects forum migrant

zenrat

There was in fact a third committee who were under the impression they were designing a conservatory.
Fred

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on April 02, 2020, 04:06:59 AM
There was in fact a third committee who were under the impression they were designing a conservatory.

I think that this third group were a freelance consultancy who did a lot of work for Amiot and Breuget in France.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet