Post war fleet air arm decals

Started by chrisonord, March 31, 2020, 03:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I  have  been trawling the web for some  post  war fleet air arm  decals in 1/72nd scale but they seem  pretty  sparse.  There's plenty of ww2 stuff it seems  but  nothing i can see that will  cover a few different  post war aircraft.  I want to  slightly diversify my  RAF builds with a few  navy aircraft. Any and all information will be most appreciated.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Have you tried searching Big H's lists for the specific aircraft type?

That usually produces a surfeit of riches!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 31, 2020, 03:52:07 PM
Have you tried searching Big H's lists for the specific aircraft type?

That usually produces a surfeit of riches!
Not yet  kit,  was hoping to find  a sheet with  decals for  several different aircraft  like you can get  for say RAF  Germany for  example
Chris

PR19_Kit

Modeldecal were the guys who did that sort of thing, but I can't recall one that was just for the FAA. I'm 120 miles from my fill set of Modeldecals at the mo, so I can't check at source, sorry.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Hi Chris. I'm not aware of any sheets that give you a variety of aircraft types, but there's at least one sheet that gives you a number of different Sea Hawks and I've a vague memory of one that does Sea Vixens ? As Kit says they tend to be on sheets with other types and services.

It's not really my period, but I found the Sea Hawk set when I was looking for some transfers for my Phantom. Decided to go with the spares box though.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Freightdog did Post War (Griffon Engined) Seafires

Freightdog Brits At Sea Pt 1 (immediate post war FAA) 1 wildcat, 2 x corsair, 2 x avenger, 3 x hellcat, 1 x mosquito, 2 x seafire (covers 1945 - 1949)
Freightdog Brits At Sea Pt  (post war FAA)3 x seafire, 2 x avenger, 1 x skyraider, 1 x attacker, 1 x anson, 1 x sea fury (covers (1948 - 1955)

plus Modeldecal sheets (as Kit says) and also ModelArt
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Knightflyer

by blackbired model aircraft decals

Colourful Sea Hawks
FGA.6 XE390 781 NAS FAA RNAS Yeovilton 1950's
FGA.4 WV834 515 700 NAS FAA RNAS Ford 1954-55
FB.3 WM934 738 NAS Red Devils FAA 1957
FGA.6 XE339 Fleet Requirements Unit FAA Bournemouth 1968

And Xtradecal X72136
Hawker Sea Hawk FGA3/4/6 (13) WV831 LM/637 738 NAS RNAS Lossiemouth; XE385 R/109 800 NAS HMS Ark Royal 1957; WN108 J/455 897 NAS HMS Eagle; WK182/101 898 NAS RNAS Brawdy 1953; WF158 FD/697 764 NAS RNAS Arbroath 1959; WV831 J/195 804 NAS HMS Eagle; WF174 J/171 806 NAS RNAS Brawdy allocated to HMS Eagle at RNAS Ford Oct 1953 with air exercise red/white bands. All Extra Dark Sea Grey/Sky; WV824 C/122 801 NAS HMS Centaur 1959; XE444 E/476 898 NAS HMA Eagle 1958; Both Extra Dark Sea Grey/White; XV834/515 700 NAS RNAS Ford 1954 EDSG/Sky with Dayglo Orange Nose, wing and fuselage bands, fin and rudder; WM934 738 NAS Red Devils Display Team 1957 Overall red; WN108/033 Fleet Requirement Unit (FRU) Hurn 1958-63 Overall Black, currently displayed at Long Kesh airfield; INI183 (ex XE378) Indian Navy 1963 Overall Black.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

That lot should  keep me quiet for a while  looking through them all, cheers  :thumbsup:
I want to do  either my Boulton Paul p120 or P111 as a naval aircraft, if I  get brave enough to  build  one of them. I am  currently building an airfix jet provost  which  went together easily for me, which is nice.  I couldn't find  any  suitable  unusual  ordnance to put  under its wings  due to  how low they are, so it is going to  be sea grey all over  and royal navy decals  on it.
Chris

Knightflyer

It was Model Alliance who did a Sea Vixen set (Model Art did a nice one as well)

Model Alliance also did a HMS Ark Royal Air Wing Selection (nine different aircraft)

Mossie

Xtradecal X72108
Fleet Air Arm/FAA 815 RNAS 1942-2009
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72108?result-token=ZDmdO
All the same squadron, but gives you a plethora of WWIi & Cold War types.  Post war are Avenger, Gannet, Wessex and Lynx.

Modeldecal 99
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MD099?result-token=aP3OH
Mostly RN Wessex, lots of crests.  Being Modeldecal you get a random Chinook and Lighting thrown in.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Nice one guys,
I have been looking at the  Seahawks  sheet  that xtradecal do and seen as its whiff world,  think  as long as they  will fit the aircraft I want to do, I  should be able to get several builds done with  those. The other  sheets mentioned look useful too. I have to  be on a good  day  for doing  decals  otherwise  I  would  need that entire sheet  just to  do one  plane   ;D ;D
Cheers
Chris

deathjester

I think I still have some left over from the Supermarine Spectre, I'll see what I can dig out!!

chrisonord

Quote from: deathjester on April 01, 2020, 11:35:50 AM
I think I still have some left over from the Supermarine Spectre, I'll see what I can dig out!!
Cheers Jay :thumbsup:
Chris

NARSES2

Quote from: Knightflyer on April 01, 2020, 08:34:47 AM
It was Model Alliance who did a Sea Vixen set (Model Art did a nice one as well)

Ah, cheers  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.