The Chieftain's stash

Started by Weaver, April 03, 2020, 01:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Nic Moran (well known as The Chieftain for his tank videos) has a rant about the allegedly 'relaxing' nature of modelling. I suspect many here will sympathise with some of the things he has to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGCx-QhMzqY

BTW, if anyone would like to leave a comment on the video, then you'll have to do it yourself, since something's gone wrong with me and Youtube whereby I can't leave comments, share videos on Twitter the proper way or get into my account to see what's wrong... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I haven't watched this.  But if he's not finding it relaxing then surely he's doing it wrong?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Nah, it's just a humorous rant like we all have sometimes about some of the OTT aspects on the hobby, like tank kits with individual links AND pins AND pads, or 14-sheet PE kits for warships. He enjoys his modelling just fine.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Beat me to it! Just watched this & laughed, 'coz it sounds so-o familiar! ;D ;D ;D

(Fred, you'll understand what he means about tracks. ;D)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Maybe I should watch it then before commenting.
:unsure:
;)
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

OK.  Watched it.
As far as rants go it's very tame.
But I do agree about the tracks.  That's why most of my tracked armour kits in the stash are 1/48.
As for the ship?  Well he brought that on himself.
Fred

Weaver

Well we've all (mostly) been guilty of 'bringing it on ourselves' in a fit of over-enthusiasm. :rolleyes:

I wanted to post a comment pointing out that you can get almost as much photo-etch for some 1/700th warships but Youtube won't let me... :banghead:

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on April 03, 2020, 07:49:29 PM
Well we've all (mostly) been guilty of 'bringing it on ourselves' in a fit of over-enthusiasm. :rolleyes:...

Absolutely.
I've been thinking about the one 1/35 tank kit in the stash - a Dragon short barrelled Panzer 4.  While not an interior detail kit it is still broken down into far more parts than it needs to be.  I could, and should, have bought a simpler kit.
Fred

Weaver

Nic's posted his first modelling video. Tamiya 1/35th Type 97 tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ELgtdM3os

(and I can leave comments again)

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Apparently there's a challange going on between Youtube modellers to reveal their workshops and stashes, and Nic got tagged, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TnSTeJnSp8

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Bit of an amateur, really, is young Nic. :wacko:

zenrat

Unless he's holding back revealing the true size lest Mrs Nic sees the film clip... :unsure:
Fred

Weaver

Turns out nice end results, he's in a club and has entered competitions, so he's serious about his modelling, I just think from what he says that he doesn't get much time for it.

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Yeah, nor do I, but the size of my stash compared to my (current) build speed is ridiculous! :rolleyes:

(NOTE: I was referring to his stash acquisition, not his modelling skills.)

PR19_Kit

Even compared to me he's got a long way to go, but compared to OGL he's LIGHT YEARS away!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit