1:72 F-117N *** FINISHED, PICS PG 3***

Started by jalles, April 05, 2020, 05:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalles

For some reason I gravitate toward stealth aircraft, so I think I finally found a suitable entry for this GB. In the 90's, after the the Navy's A-12 Avenger II got canceled Lockheed proposed a naval version of the F-117. It looks something like this:

Main differences other than the new wing/horizontal stabilizer layout are the rounded/bubble canopy and new engine exhaust arrangement. I'm going to use the top from a 1:72 Hasegawa F-117 and 3D print the rest. Usually I just use the 3D print as a mold for vacuforming, but this time I'm actually going to use the parts so there will be much sanding and primer (as well as a fair bit of swearing).

Work has already started.

Here's a small sensor window for the FLIR, I'm hoping to use the FLIR from the Hasegawa kit.

F117N-01 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

F117N-01 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

Bottom, wings, and horizontal stabilizers after much priming and sanding. They're almost ready, but not quite there yet.

F117N-03 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

Finally some landing gear well detail. I've cannibalized the front from the Hasegawa kit.

F117N-04 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

McColm

Dizzyfugu

comrade harps

The F-117N looks more attractive in a sporty kind of way than the F-117A. I'm looking forward to seeing this in a nice naval scheme.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

AndrewF

This looks excellent! Looking forward to see the finished version.

PR19_Kit

I like the way you just blandly write '......going to 3D print the rest......'  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jalles

I've been doing a horrible job taking in progress shots, but work continues.

Here's the original canopy, the mold for the vacuformed canopy, and the final product.

1:72 Lockheed F-117N by Jason Alles, on Flickr

Of course the plane needs a cockpit and an intrepid pilot.

Finally, here are the major components losely held in place.

I've done more work, just no pictures. Everything is now glued together and currently I'm trying to get the vacuform canopy flush. It looked good until I hit it with some primer but now it's showing some obvious issues.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DogfighterZen

Very nice work indeed... this is gonna look great!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

Same here! Love the way this is coming together.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

AWESOME stuff there!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

This looking great.  :thumbsup:

jalles

Thanks for the kind words folks! The canopy is still giving me fits, hopefully I can beat it into submission.

Mossie

Beautiful work.  This'll be fantastic when finished.  I've always fancied having a go at this but wouldn't know where to start.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Old Wombat

Some people are really good at this "scratch-build" business, aren't they! :o :mellow: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est