Wierd subjects for kits

Started by Weaver, April 06, 2020, 11:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on April 22, 2020, 03:07:08 AM

Back in the 80s LS did a range of 1/1 model guns that later got banned in the UK. IIRC they fired pellets and were used in bank robberies. Eventually a kid got shot by a cop because his toy gun looked so real. https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t192-ls-models

Earlier than that even, I did an MP40 for a friend who was into re-enactment stuff in the 70s.

For 'authenticity' I finished it off with half a pound of powdered graphite and it looked great, but he never forgave me as it was always coming off all over him.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

When you're so into the hobby you want to build kits of the machines that make your kits....
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

I remember 1/1 scale flintlock and percussion pistols and muskets. Was it Pyro who made them ?

Had a couple as a kid hanging on my bedroom wall, but they wouldn't be classed as weird I would have thought.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 22, 2020, 05:51:17 AM

Back in the 80s LS did a range of 1/1 model guns that later got banned in the UK. IIRC they fired pellets and were used in bank robberies. Eventually a kid got shot by a cop because his toy gun looked so real. https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t192-ls-models

Earlier than that even, I did an MP40 for a friend who was into re-enactment stuff in the 70s.

For 'authenticity' I finished it off with half a pound of powdered graphite and it looked great, but he never forgave me as it was always coming off all over him.  ;D

There's a whole subculture of refinishing NERF guns and similar gaudy toys in 'realistic' colours, and they look remarkably good. Some have even appeared in the background of various low-budget sci-fi flicks and TV series.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on April 22, 2020, 03:01:47 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 22, 2020, 05:51:17 AM

There's a whole subculture of refinishing NERF guns and similar gaudy toys in 'realistic' colours, and they look remarkably good. Some have even appeared in the background of various low-budget sci-fi flicks and TV series.

Yep.  Repainted one of mine.  The air restrictor may have mysteriously gone missing during the process.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Joe C-P

Quote from: Mossie on April 21, 2020, 01:51:38 PM
Quote from: Hobbes on April 21, 2020, 08:03:10 AM

It does come with parts that represent the mould. If you look at them closely, the mould is the one used to produce this kit.

Nice little touch.  Who's going to do a resin cast and produce a tiny model to sit next to it...
And then a tinier model from that one, and then another tinier from that one, and on and on until you reach the Microverse.   ;D
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

scooter

Quote from: JoeP on April 23, 2020, 06:01:17 AM

It does come with parts that represent the mould. If you look at them closely, the mould is the one used to produce this kit.

Nice little touch.  Who's going to do a resin cast and produce a tiny model to sit next to it...
And then a tinier model from that one, and then another tinier from that one, and on and on until you reach the Microverse.   ;D

And may run into Steven Strange and Scott Lang
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

Quote from: scooter on April 23, 2020, 06:17:01 AM
Quote from: JoeP on April 23, 2020, 06:01:17 AM

And may run into Steven Strange and Scott Lang

Scott Carey paved the way for the others.  ;)

jcf

Props to Bandai, that's about as meta as it gets.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Joe C-P

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 22, 2020, 06:57:30 AM
I remember 1/1 scale flintlock and percussion pistols and muskets. Was it Pyro who made them ?

Had a couple as a kid hanging on my bedroom wall, but they wouldn't be classed as weird I would have thought.

I had those!  A long rifle or musket, and I think a pistol that was sold as a Pirate's pistol?  Wonder if they're still being made.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Mossie

Quote from: Mossie on April 21, 2020, 02:14:06 PM
Revell's bucket wheel excavator was definitely a bit off the beaten path.

Airfix's bird series are others that come to mind.

Meant to add the Revell Oil Rig to this post.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on May 23, 2020, 02:20:52 PM

Meant to add the Revell Oil Rig to this post.

Ah yes, a lifetime's modelling supply of girders in one kit!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I was on the verge of ordering a toy Mauser pistol to convert to a Star Wars Han Solo blaster. I have an old scope from a BB gun from when my brothers and I were kids. Might just work.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on May 23, 2020, 08:32:48 PM
I was on the verge of ordering a toy Mauser pistol to convert to a Star Wars Han Solo blaster. I have an old scope from a BB gun from when my brothers and I were kids. Might just work.

Just put 'Han Solo Blaster' into Youtube and you'll get a bunch of tutorials, from Adam Savage and others, explaining what went into the prop and how to recreate it at every level from cheap'n'cheerful to prop-geek-perfect. You can also buy reproductions of some of the hard-to-source bits. There's a forum called the Replica Props Forum (RPF) where serious prop-geeks gather and the info is probably on there.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

I found that forum a while back and it's pretty good. Thanks anyway.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise