Wierd subjects for kits

Started by Weaver, April 06, 2020, 11:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: JoeP on May 23, 2020, 12:10:04 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 22, 2020, 06:57:30 AM
I remember 1/1 scale flintlock and percussion pistols and muskets. Was it Pyro who made them ?

Had a couple as a kid hanging on my bedroom wall, but they wouldn't be classed as weird I would have thought.

I had those!  A long rifle or musket, and I think a pistol that was sold as a Pirate's pistol?  Wonder if they're still being made.

Yup I had the long musket and flintlock pistol, plus a twin set which contained a "pepper pot" multi barrel pistol and a Derringer.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on April 22, 2020, 03:01:47 PM

There's a whole subculture of refinishing NERF guns and similar gaudy toys in 'realistic' colours, and they look remarkably good. Some have even appeared in the background of various low-budget sci-fi flicks and TV series.

Certain NERF also looks good in steampunk-style metallics.

There are also adapters to convert the NERF rail system over to Picatinny/Weaver-style rails to mount...real gear.

I've also repainted NERF as well...and this outfit was a big hit at Philly Comic Con 2014.  I've also since replaced the rail on top and added the Picatinny adapters on the lower rail (that $200 scope on top turned out to be cheap cr@p).  And, as an aside, NERF 6 round mags fit M-14 20-round mag pouches beautifully.

Link here for when the token expires.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

The gun's so well camo'd that I can't see it!  :o

Yeah, I know, that's the idea of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

If I tried carrying that into Manchester Comicon I'd probably get shot by the police before I got into the hall...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on May 24, 2020, 08:13:22 AM
If I tried carrying that into Manchester Comicon I'd probably get shot by the police before I got into the hall...

That's why I leave the tip blaze orange.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

The Wooksta!

This one is a bit different.  Not the subject.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-intricately-detailed-Domus-model-kit-the-Pueblo-Iberico-40204-VTG-SPAIN/313032215466?hash=item48e22c8baa:g:RrkAAOSwvVZecpXZ

More the fact you've got to build the sodding thing from scale bricks!

Buenos Noches, Pet
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

loupgarou

Domus has been around for many years, in shops and model show. Maybe not in english-speaking countries?
Problem is that their "bricks" are HUGE, ridiculously out of scale.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Well, some buildings are constructed from blocks that size, but there also appears to be a lack of proper lintels over the door and window openings.  They'll never get building approval like that...

;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

There was a guy at the Poynton show who'd built a whole 1/35th diorama of a scene in a small French town during WWII, and not only did he build every building from individual bricks, he cast all the bricks himself...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

When I was a nipper back in the early 60's I had a building set which consisted of small bricks, lintels etc which you cemented together using water based glue (so you could dismantle it latter) using scale blue prints of buildings as your guide. Can you imagine trying to market that at 8/9 year old's nowadays ?  :angel: ;)

One of those things I wish I'd kept.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Back in the early 80s there was a product aimed at the 00 model railway market which enabled you design and build your own buildings, and it consisted of 00 scale bricks with holes through them, top to bottom, plus a lot of plastic rods. You placed the rods where the bricks were meant to go and then threaded the bricks onto the rods. The holes were off centre so you could lay the bricks in various bonds to suit your design.

Damned if I can remember the name of the product, but I've still got a starter set of it at home somewhere. One of my GMRC friends built a fairly large loco shed from it, and it looked really good.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 27, 2020, 06:21:26 AM
Back in the early 80s there was a product aimed at the 00 model railway market which enabled you design and build your own buildings, and it consisted of 00 scale bricks with holes through them, top to bottom, plus a lot of plastic rods. You placed the rods where the bricks were meant to go and then threaded the bricks onto the rods. The holes were off centre so you could lay the bricks in various bonds to suit your design.

Damned if I can remember the name of the product, but I've still got a starter set of it at home somewhere. One of my GMRC friends built a fairly large loco shed from it, and it looked really good.  :thumbsup:

Blimey Kit that's a blast from the past ....that was one of the toys my nan had round her house for my brother and I (1970s)

It was Bayko

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayko

My brother was into Linka at one point

http://www.linkaworld.com/
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on May 27, 2020, 07:25:43 AM

Blimey Kit that's a blast from the past ....that was one of the toys my nan had round her house for my brother and I (1970s)

It was Bayko

YES! That was it, thanks so much.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Do you want some Bayko? I have still an enormous original box (and parts, of course), but it would be too heavy to mail.
BTW, the rods were metal, not plastic, at least in mine. Scale is much bigger than OO. And, as Wiki  says, much earlier than the 80's.
Maybe yours is a much later iteration?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.