WHIF's found on ArtStation: Tupolev ANT-201

Started by Weaver, April 07, 2020, 11:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I rather like the USN type. Bit of a mix of types but very much based on the Rockwell XFV-12A I would of thought ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 25, 2021, 06:42:09 AM
I rather like the USN type. Bit of a mix of types but very much based on the Rockwell XFV-12A I would of thought ?

Perhaps. It may also show some influence from the Rockwell HiMAT research drone and the Dassault ACT-92 project. The wing planform looks very aero-isoclinic to me too, which means the Shorts PD.13 may have also had an influence:

XFV-12:

HiMAT:

ACT-92:

PD.13:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Aaah, the PD.13.  ;D

One of Shorts more practical projects I always thought. And could be modelled too, maybe starting with a Scimitar fuselage, and wings from a Sea Vixen perhaps?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on September 25, 2021, 11:47:18 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 25, 2021, 06:42:09 AM

Perhaps. It may also shows some influence from the Rockwell HiMAT research drone and the Dassault ACT-92 project. The wing planform looks very isoaeroclinic to me too, which means the Shorts PD.13 may have also had an influence:

XFV-12:

I'm gonna assume that the site the original link is from doesn't support hot linking.  Changed to an image from Wiki in the quote
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2021, 12:55:27 PM
Aaah, the PD.13.  ;D

One of Shorts more practical projects I always thought. And could be modelled too, maybe starting with a Scimitar fuselage, and wings from a Sea Vixen perhaps?

Apparently the NA.39 review board were very taken with it, but eventually decided that it was more technically risky than neccessary for the requirement, although it would make a good basis for a Mach 1.5 fighter.

Funnily enough, to get that pic on here I posted it on Twitter (for free hosting  ;D) and somebody there said it looked like the result of a supply-chain problem in the Sea Vixen factory. ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: scooter on September 25, 2021, 01:35:02 PM
I'm gonna assume that the site the original link is from doesn't support hot linking.  Changed to an image from Wiki in the quote

Erm... don't know what the problem is: it's showing for me... :unsure:

Anyway, for those that can't see it, this is the image I posted:

- Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 25, 2021, 07:34:07 PM

This one's nice.  :wub:  HIMAT meets Rafale. Pretty.

It sure is, and Sharkit do it in resin as well.  :thumbsup:

I'm sorely tempted to have a go at the Shorts PD.13, except I've only got one Skybirds Scimitar so I'll have a look for an Xtrakit one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Ye gods!  :o

Further to the above, I took a look on eBay and some poor soul has a couple of them for sale at a Buy It Now price of £!20!!!!  ;D

I think I may try the one at auction at £6.50 so far...............

(Yes, this should be in the 'They want WHAT for it?' thread.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 26, 2021, 03:25:10 AM
Ye gods!  :o

Further to the above, I took a look on eBay and some poor soul has a couple of them for sale at a Buy It Now price of £!20!!!!  ;D

I think I may try the one at auction at £6.50 so far...............

(Yes, this should be in the 'They want WHAT for it?' thread.

Unicraft do a resin kit of the PD.13.

Note that that's UNICRAFT, so buyer beware....

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 26, 2021, 05:32:23 AM
Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 25, 2021, 07:34:07 PM
Quote from: Weaver on September 25, 2021, 11:47:18 AM
<...>
ACT-92:

<...>

This one's nice.  :wub:  HIMAT meets Rafale. Pretty.

It's certainly a good looker  :thumbsup:

It's one of my favorites. The only thing I'd change is to extend the fins and rudders below the wing as well, for maximum high AoA directional stability/control.

I suspect that the reason why configurations like this were ultimately dropped is that the vortex approach triumphed, i.e. work on LERX to re-energize wing flow at high AoA also had the side effect of teaching aerodynamicists how to use similar vortices to keep traditional fins working, and the latter are structurally more efficient (and therefore lighter) than wing-mounted fins.

- Indiana Jones

CammNut

PR19_Kit

I'm liking this more and more..........  ;)

Regards
Kit

tahsin

Hey, an Artstation thread. I like the works of Blastwave(?) as he must be in Beyond the Sprues. Also one guy with a lot of stuff

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0nRxOE ...