Waterworld Hellfire Barge - FINISHED AT LAST !!!

Started by Austanker, April 08, 2020, 02:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Nice work. A model that size has presence.

Although you may ask yourself, in the movie, what exact purpose does the entire truck chassis serve on the barge. Except to look cool of course.

BTW.. your ANZAC Plastic blog has some cool content.

Austanker

Quote from: buzzbomb on August 24, 2020, 03:42:42 PM
Nice work. A model that size has presence.

Although you may ask yourself, in the movie, what exact purpose does the entire truck chassis serve on the barge. Except to look cool of course.

BTW.. your ANZAC Plastic blog has some cool content.

At first glance it doesn't look like the truck does much but when you freeze the frames it reveals the trucks rear wheels drive the paddle wheel which is basically a big water tank with tyres lashed to it to act as paddles , and from what I can work out there are hydraulic hoses running from the engine to power the quad 50 and possibly some kind of water cooling system , but yeah its looks hella cool
A lot of people write off the movie as Mad Max on water, yes it has massive plot holes and some dodgy acting but the action sequences , design and concept are original and to this day not replicated or bettered, the hellfire barge is one of the most original post apoc vehicles ever to be built in real life, I hope I can capture it correctly
Thanks for checking out my blog  :thumbsup:

Austanker

Finally got my Zona saw so I'm into the tricky stuff gun tower and some other details done over the last few nites

buzzbomb

Nice, very nice. :thumbsup:

What I am really waiting for is the paint stage. I expect you will be able to go to town at that time.

Flyer

:thumbsup:

Each and every time I see this thread title though I picture a barge packed with rack's of Hellfire missiles...
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Austanker

Bit of a pause in proceedings waiting for some bits to come from the 4 corners of the planet, I found some suitable drive belts from r/c cars courtesy of a small hobby shop in Illinois in the US of A ,bags of assorted cogs and wheels from Chyna all took weeks to arrive due to covid, now I have to get my mojo back lol
So heres where I'm up to I have started building the rear paddle wheel setup from very blurry screen grabs , I think I have it all worked out
Basically the trucks rear wheels drive a shaft on the back of the barge this shaft drives the large water tank with car tyres lashed to it which acts as a paddle type wheel, from the screen grabs this setup actually worked in real life

zenrat

The fact that the screen grabs are blurry is an advantage as no-one will be able to use them to try and tell you your work isn't correct.   :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Austanker

Quote from: zenrat on October 29, 2020, 04:17:23 AM
The fact that the screen grabs are blurry is an advantage as no-one will be able to use them to try and tell you your work isn't correct.   :thumbsup:
exactly lol ;D

Old Wombat

Hey, Austanker, do you need any tyres for the "paddle wheel"? :unsure:

I have a fair number of Trumpeter/AFV 1/35 Stryker tyres left over from a few builds that I'm happy to part with gratis if you want 'em. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Austanker

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 30, 2020, 01:18:21 AM
Hey, Austanker, do you need any tyres for the "paddle wheel"? :unsure:

I have a fair number of Trumpeter/AFV 1/35 Stryker tyres left over from a few builds that I'm happy to part with gratis if you want 'em. :thumbsup:

I may need extras if I dont go with a full dio , half of them would be underwater haven't decided yet , cheers for the offer will let ya know mate  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Austanker

The last piece of the puzzle the paddle wheel , I casted the tank ends using builders bog in a plastic container to get a nice rounded look, the silver tubing I had lying around in the junk box and turned out to be a perfect size for the wheel body
Just ordered some serious silicon molding and resin casting gear to make the half dozen large pelican containers that sit on the truck rear, then all the major work will be done

buzzbomb

Still loving it.

Finding parts already in the spares/junk boxes... bliss ;D

Austanker

Part of the model requires 6 large pelican type cases on the rear of a truck , after looking at many options I found a kit with several different sized ones and managed to join 2 together to make a prototype to cast
I found some local products called Pinkysil for the mold and Easycast for the casting, very easy to use no odour and the results were better than I expected , both products set within 20 minutes which made it an easy process, the resin sets white.

If you want to see step by step pics then check my blog http://anzacplastic.blogspot.com/2020/11/molding-and-casting-with-pinkysil-and.html