Royal navy Scottish aviation twin pioneer

Started by chrisonord, April 12, 2020, 04:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

As an idea of what to do with  the kit I have of said aircraft, if I get chance, what if the royal navy  used the Twin Pioneer?
I was thinking of it being used as a C.O.D aircraft  bringing  crew and supplies to and from HMS Eagle.  Would it need to be cat launched  or would  it have  the STOL capability to  get it off the deck  without the need to be flung off. An arrestor hook would  probably be a good idea  for landing, and not too difficult to install.  I was thinking  that the  aircraft wouldn't be  permanently  stationed aboard the  carrier also and be based at naval/ air force bases  around the world.  I dare say that the  aircraft  would  be robust enough to  land on an aircraft carrier.
Cheers, Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

A Twin Pin wouldn't need to be cat launched OR arrested! They could probably fly slower than the carrier's maximum speed!

When I lived at RAF Benson it was the main Ferry Base in the UK at the time, and both single and Twin Pioneers were being ferried in and out of the UK via Benson. There was one of each there during the annual BoB Display in September, and just to prove how STOL capable they were they both took off ACROSS the hardstanding in front of the hangars!  :o :o

I had a flight in the Twin Pin that's run by  Air Atlantique at Coventry some years ago, and it was like having a ride in a  lift with windows, it could fly at such STUPIDLY slow speeds.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

The publicity for the Twin Pioneer says it can operate from a 275m x 30m strip. HMS Ark Royals [RO9] was 244m x 34m, so it's definitely going to need an arrestor hook and probably catapult launching. I'm not sure how the wing could be adapted to fold for below deck storage.
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

NARSES2

Quote from: Leading Observer on April 12, 2020, 05:08:20 AM
The publicity for the Twin Pioneer says it can operate from a 275m x 30m strip. HMS Ark Royals [RO9] was 244m x 34m, so it's definitely going to need an arrestor hook and probably catapult launching.

Would it need 275m if taking off into a head wind over the bows ?

Pretty sure the R.N. would give it an arrestor hook just to be on the safe side, and also in case there was anything parked "up front" as they came into land.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

My thoughts too Chris, as it can  get pretty  drafty at sea. Maybe  install  rato bottles  in case of  heavy load and or lack of  decent  head wind.  I am  thinking of either doing  this next or an RAF  middle east  Caribou.
Chris

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Leading Observer on April 12, 2020, 05:08:20 AM

The publicity for the Twin Pioneer says it can operate from a 275m x 30m strip. HMS Ark Royals [RO9] was 244m x 34m, so it's definitely going to need an arrestor hook and probably catapult launching. I'm not sure how the wing could be adapted to fold for below deck storage.

That'd be in a dead calm, one thing you NEVER have on a carrier.....................

In reality they needed a lot less than that for take-off.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Sorted, a navy  twin Pioneer  won't be  too far fetched  then :thumbsup:
I was also  wondering about  auxiliary fuel tanks  under the wings, as depending on  the distance  they could  need them . I have not looked up the fuel range for them but something under the wings or on the wing tips  could be another  wiffability.
Chris

Rheged

This is a GOOD IDEA!  Based at Prestwick, Yeovilton or Lossiemouth as a courier/utility aircraft it would be very handy to carry spares/personnel out to carrier working up or setting out on deployment.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Scotaidh

Quote from: chrisonord on April 12, 2020, 06:57:02 AM
Sorted, a navy  twin Pioneer  won't be  too far fetched  then :thumbsup:
I was also  wondering about  auxiliary fuel tanks  under the wings, as depending on  the distance  they could  need them . I have not looked up the fuel range for them but something under the wings or on the wing tips  could be another  wiffability.
Chris

According to BAe Systems, military versions of this aircraft were fitted to carry stores under the stub-wings. 

Variants

Twin Pioneer               :: 1 Built   :: Protoype aircraft with Alvis Leonides 531 radial engines.
Twin Pioneer Series 1  :: 23 Built  :: Production aircraft with Alvis Leonides 541 radial engines.
Twin Pioneer CC. Mk1  :: 32 Built  :: Military variant of Series 1 for RAF
Twin Pioneer Series 2   :: 6 Built    :: Production aircraft with Pratt & Whitney R-1340 radial engines
Twin Pioneer Series 3   :: 18 Built  :: Protoype aircraft with improved Alvis Leonides 531 radial engines.
Twin Pioneer CC. Mk2   :: 7 built    :: Military variant of the Series 3 for the RAF

Specification (CC.2)
Powerplant          :: Two 640 hp Alvis Leonides 531
Span                  :: 76 ft 6 in
Maximum Weight :: 14,600 lb
Capacity             :: Two crew and up to 13 troops or 2,000 lb cargo
Maximum Speed  :: 165 mph
Cruise Speed      :: 131 mph
Range                :: 791 miles
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

chrisonord

I will have to have a  look for  pictures of one  with  stub wings on it , cheers

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on April 12, 2020, 09:39:56 AM

This is a GOOD IDEA!  Based at Prestwick, Yeovilton or Lossiemouth as a courier/utility aircraft it would be very handy to carry spares/personnel out to carrier working up or setting out on deployment.

Or Lee-on-Solent even. They could watch the carrier coming out of Portsmouth before deciding to take off or not.  ;D

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

My next  pondering is what  colour scheme to daub it in. I  would like to try the dark sea grey over sky as that was in use in the early 1960's wasn't it? Or was it 1950's.
Cheers
Chris

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

chrisonord

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet