Group Build 2020/2021 Poll - Round Two

Started by NARSES2, April 12, 2020, 07:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Select up to 5 of the choices below and the top 3 will be the GB subjects for the 2020/2021 Season.

Captured. (Captured equipment put into service by its captor)
18 (47.4%)
Small Nations GB
14 (36.8%)
The Latin American G.B.
11 (28.9%)
Science Fiction or Into/from Outer Space
11 (28.9%)
The Interwar Period
12 (31.6%)
Prototypes.
19 (50%)
The Stealth GB.
7 (18.4%)
The Change of Motive Power GB. (re-engine GB)
8 (21.1%)
The Logistics Train G.B
6 (15.8%)
The "It will never work" /it's totally impractical /Doomed Inventions GB
8 (21.1%)
The Earlier Jets GB. Suppose the jet turbine had gone into production in 1920 or 1930 ?
8 (21.1%)
The Swords to Ploughshares/Ploughshares to Swords GB.
17 (44.7%)
The Blue Lights GB. (Medic/Fire/Police etc)
18 (47.4%)
Winter Time/The Antarctic/The Arctic GB
10 (26.3%)
Great Britain un-aligned and the Warsaw Pact designs it purchased GB.
6 (15.8%)
Fixed Wing Aircraft into Rotary or Tilt Wing Aircraft.
8 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: April 26, 2020, 07:45:18 AM

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 12, 2020, 07:24:15 AM
Prototypes? Yes, I'll stand up to moderate with Jon.

I doubt I'll be able to enter, I don't have any more unbuilt kits with me and all my others are 120 miles away. :(

I'm sure someone could send you something to work on Kit  :wacko:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

I see "Protoytpes" as an excuse to build absolutely anything I want, no holds barred, and then just make up some words claiming it was a prototype.
Lovely.  Might as well have just called it anything goes.   ;)
Timing is right for it to be one of the kits from my "big stuff" stash.
We'll see.

But the one week build is first.  I need to sort out something that will go together easilly with minimal PSR...

...newish Airfix it is then.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 13, 2020, 04:38:44 AM

But the one week build is first.  I need to sort out something that will go together easilly with minimal PSR...

Yup, new tool Airfix or good quality resin ? I've built some good quality resin kits, CMR, Planet etc in past 1 Week Builds and they go together well  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 12, 2020, 07:24:15 AM
Prototypes? Yes, I'll stand up to moderate with Jon.

Thanks Kit  :thumbsup:

I'll be in touch

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

I see "Protoytpes" as an excuse to build absolutely anything I want, no holds barred, and then just make up some words claiming it was a prototype.
Lovely......

Actually that's why I am not yet excited  about the prototype GB as I imagine it going.  I prefer tighter rules and GB's that fit the theme, not the "build whatever you want" builds.   Hmm.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on May 13, 2020, 02:43:25 PM
Lovely......

Actually that's why I am not yet excited  about the prototype GB as I imagine it going.  I prefer tighter rules and GB's that fit the theme, not the "build whatever you want" builds.   Hmm.

We haven't sorted out the rules yet, they may be TERRIBLE!  ;D :wacko:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TomZ

I would prefer tighter rules. Otherwise we might as well have no theme at all....

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Snowtrooper

Some ideas for Prototype GB rules (if you don't want to allow "anything goes as long as you invent the backstory" method):
1) Existing prototype whiffed somehow (must still represent a prototype instead of serial production/operational exampe). Armed X-series plane in weapons release tests, Revell early Gripen/Airfix Viggen/Matchbox Hasegawa early F-15 in another (potential) operator's consipcuous prototype livery, Tesla Cybertruck with the largest gasoline engine you can fit, etc.
2) What remained as a paper project/model/mock-up in RW (but existed at least on paper) built here as a prototype (still prototype markings instead of operational). Kits thereof are whiff in a box of course, but creativity is still encouraged. Luft'46 in USAF/RAF/VVS livery is a simple example, Folland's low-cost proposal for TSR.2 OR in Raspberry Ripple a demanding one.
3) "Prototypized" series production example. Create a whiffy prototype of a production example (even if a real prototype existed, yours doesn't have to look the same way) that looks like it could have led to the production version. Example: change body panels and accessories on a production road car model and paint/decal it with the "dazzle camouflage" used to deceive paparazzis about its true shape. Early WW2 fighter gets a mighty spatted landing gear, open cockpit, and a bunch of support struts and rigging.

zenrat

I too was not enthused about Protoypes.  Until I started thinking about it.

Quote from: Snowtrooper on May 14, 2020, 02:25:34 AM
Some ideas for Prototype GB rules (if you don't want to allow "anything goes as long as you invent the backstory" method):
1) Existing prototype whiffed somehow (must still represent a prototype instead of serial production/operational exampe). Armed X-series plane in weapons release tests, Revell early Gripen/Airfix Viggen/Matchbox Hasegawa early F-15 in another (potential) operator's consipcuous prototype livery, Tesla Cybertruck with the largest gasoline engine you can fit, etc.
2) What remained as a paper project/model/mock-up in RW (but existed at least on paper) built here as a prototype (still prototype markings instead of operational). Kits thereof are whiff in a box of course, but creativity is still encouraged. Luft'46 in USAF/RAF/VVS livery is a simple example, Folland's low-cost proposal for TSR.2 OR in Raspberry Ripple a demanding one.
3) "Prototypized" series production example. Create a whiffy prototype of a production example (even if a real prototype existed, yours doesn't have to look the same way) that looks like it could have led to the production version. Example: change body panels and accessories on a production road car model and paint/decal it with the "dazzle camouflage" used to deceive paparazzis about its true shape. Early WW2 fighter gets a mighty spatted landing gear, open cockpit, and a bunch of support struts and rigging.

1 and 2 are, IMO too strict and too far away from the spirit of whiff.  You'll be requiring "reference" to accompany submissions next...   ;D

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 13, 2020, 05:51:24 AM

Yup, new tool Airfix or good quality resin ? I've built some good quality resin kits, CMR, Planet etc in past 1 Week Builds and they go together well  :thumbsup:

I have an idea.  I won't go on about it here, see my Flying Circus thread.

Fred

Nick

Quote from: Snowtrooper on May 14, 2020, 02:25:34 AM

How about....

4) Take any vehicle that existed only as a prototype or X-plane and put them into service.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on May 14, 2020, 05:38:30 AM

4) Take any vehicle that existed only as a prototype or X-plane and put them into service.

That's then not a prototype ?

I'm not involved in drafting the rules (that's down to Jon and Kit your moderators), but when I thought about this G.B. subject I realised that the rules will in some ways need to be quite strict whilst in others they will be quite loose. Prototypes sounds all encompassing, and it is, but within quite a strict framework. That's my view anyway. We'll get the draft rules up as soon as possible and then we can start refining them.

If I'm honest it's one of those subjects that wins the vote and then people realise that everyone has a different idea as to what it actually means. A moderators nightmare  :angel:

NARSES2

Quote from: TomZ on May 13, 2020, 11:15:46 PM
I would prefer tighter rules. Otherwise we might as well have no theme at all....

TomZ

I tend to agree with you Tom, but as long as the rules are clear and people both understand and operate within them then I'm quite happy.

sandiego89

I blame the voters! Not sure what they were voting for, sounded like a good idea at the time, promises, tears, and now comes the hard part to work the details!! Ha.

Don't envy you mods, so here is an early thank you!!

Sourcing kits for types that never got into real production can be challenging, so likely a variation of an existing type or backdating a real type into a prototype is likely a good route here.

I always like rightish rules, and tend to vote for entries that really fit the GB theme well. The creativity on here is brilliant.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Some kits of supposed production vehicles are more like the prototype. Of course that's not much of a whiff then.
Then there is that F-19 kit that isn't anything at all. Would it be possible to "backdate" such a thing? I'm just thinking out loud...
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise