Bristol Bullhead prototype jet heavy fighter

Started by chrisonord, April 13, 2020, 05:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Amongst other  companies  Bristol  were given  some  blueprints  of German  advanced  aircraft  from the second world war, and asked to  evaluate and if feasible  build a proof of concept  aircraft.  Bristol  had obtained  some plans from Messerschmit and  one such aircraft  caught  their eye  and decided to  build one. Unofficially known as the  Bristol  Bullhead, because  of its shape. The aircraft  used a pair of engines  copied from those used in the Me  262, but with more refinements  giving the engines  more reliability and  a bit more power. The aircraft  flew quite well  from the off , if a little slow and lethargic in rhe handling  department.  The aircraft  was loaned to a  Spitfire  squadron  in 1950 for evaluation  to see if it would  make a viable  fighter/ground attack  aircraft, but the set in their ways pilots   regarded the  thing with total  disdain, mainly because it  was of German design  but also it was  cumbersome in mock dogfights.
The kit is the Revell  1/72nd scale  Messerschmit  P1099, not too bad to build, I  took my time with it as some of it was a bit tricky for me, but I think it has come out ok. I  have  struggled for weeks to think of a  better name for it, so I  stuxk it with Bullhead.
Chris.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/o6ZPEdszg9XjUAFr9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/datw1t7w3uPrNsGJ6
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

And a very apt name for something that shape too.   ;D

Looks like you've a production line running Chris, lots of good stuff coming from your model room.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Thankyou Kit, I have persevered  with them and taken my time  with them.  The warmer weather has helped  too and this  not going out malarkey  .I have put several  kits back on the pile that I wanted to  build  as they were too much  of a fiddle or had important  parts missing  which were unknown to  me. :-\
Chris

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 13, 2020, 06:17:45 AM

Looks like you've a production line running Chris, lots of good stuff coming from your model room.  :thumbsup:

Certainly has  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Jeremiah was a bullfrog, and that thing is ugly. lol

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Quote from: Captain Canada on April 13, 2020, 10:01:59 AM
Jeremiah was a bullfrog, and that thing is ugly. lol

:thumbsup:

But there's no way that pilots could complain about the landing view!  ;D ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ed S

That just doesn't look like a fighter. Maybe you could get away with making it an attacker or bomber. But that is the godawfulist ugly fighter. You did a great job on the model.
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

chrisonord

Quote from: Ed S on April 13, 2020, 01:58:49 PM
That just doesn't look like a fighter. Maybe you could get away with making it an attacker or bomber. But that is the godawfulist ugly fighter. You did a great job on the model.
Probably the  main reason why I  bought it  Ed.  They  did a version of it with a load  of turreted guns on it too.