Avro CF/B -105 Arrow

Started by chrisonord, April 14, 2020, 12:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Just like a Lightning......................

That's the problem with a point defence interceptor, it's usually a very small point!  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

But weren't the point interceptors of that generation just intended as stop gaps until the "sooper-dooper" ground based AA missiles came along ? It was only when it dawned on people that given the technology of the time ground based AA missiles were not the super weapons they'd been touted as that people had to look at interceptors again ? The fact they'd always offered greater flexibility seemed to have been missed in the past.

I wonder what type of point interceptors would have been developed if there hadn't been the alternative of ground based AA missiles ? Maybe they'd have built some loiter time in ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 18, 2020, 12:28:46 AM
...I wonder what type of point interceptors would have been developed if there hadn't been the alternative of ground based AA missiles ? Maybe they'd have built some loiter time in ?

Something like this?

Yakovlev Yak-28P (Firebar) by Tom Wigley, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

Quote from: zenrat on April 18, 2020, 02:38:22 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 18, 2020, 12:28:46 AM
...I wonder what type of point interceptors would have been developed if there hadn't been the alternative of ground based AA missiles ? Maybe they'd have built some loiter time in ?

Something like this?

Yakovlev Yak-28P (Firebar) by Tom Wigley, on Flickr

From MilitaryFactory.com:

The Yak-28P Interceptor

The Yak-28P became the dedicated long-range, missile-armed interceptor which could be called upon, in relatively short order, to take on marauding Western bombers or spy planes. The type was born in 1960 and entered service as soon as 1964. These versions lacked the internal bomb bay of their tactical bomber brethren which allowed for more onboard fuel stores to be exercised. An interception radar was standard and fitted in the nose cone assembly while integrated with the aircraft's missile-only payload. Production resulted in 435 aircraft.

Yak-28P Interceptor Performance

The Yak-28P was powered by 2 x Tumansky R-11 series afterburning turbojet engines delivering 10,140lbs on dry thrust and 13,670lbs with afterburning engaged. Maximum speed was 1,140 miles per hour with a range out to 1,550 miles and a service ceiling of 55,000 feet. Armament was generally 2 x R-98M (AA-3 "Anab") medium-ranged, air-to-air missiles and 2 x K-13A (AA-2 "Atoll") short-ranged air-to-air missiles. The aircraft carried a mix of R-98M missiles, typically an infrared homing and a semi-active radar homing version. No internal cannon was fitted.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

It's a thing of beauty isn't it.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

chrisonord

Quote from: zenrat on April 18, 2020, 04:34:57 AM
It's a thing of beauty isn't it.
Absolutely Fred.
I have built  the bomber version  from Amodel  and it is a favourite of mine.  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

zenrat

I've built the A Model 28R which is the recce version.  It fought me all the way but I beat it in the end.
As I'm a sucker for punishment I also have the A Model 28PP ECM version.
Fred

Leading Observer

There was an interesting article in one of the Aviation magazines about a Yak-28 crashing in a Berlin lake in which the British "aided" the Russians in recovering the wreck - there's a bit on it here http://www.western-allies-berlin.com/historic-events/detail/jak-28-crash
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

zenrat

Quote from: Leading Observer on April 18, 2020, 05:24:59 AM
There was an interesting article in one of the Aviation magazines about a Yak-28 crashing in a Berlin lake in which the British "aided" the Russians in recovering the wreck - there's a bit on it here http://www.western-allies-berlin.com/historic-events/detail/jak-28-crash

Interesting, thanks.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 18, 2020, 05:21:55 AM

I've built the A Model 28R which is the recce version.  It fought me all the way but I beat it in the end.
As I'm a sucker for punishment I also have the A Model 28PP ECM version.

Then there's the Yak 25RV Mandrake, the one with the very loooooooong wings (but not as long as the ones on  PR19  ;D)

I've got A Model and Broplan kits of the Mandrake and I've been thinking of cross-kitting them an A Model Yak 28's fuselage and engines, and calling it a 'Firedrake'.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Not that you can't recycle, but Jaybee built a Yak 26 Firedrake.  It has lovely long wings.
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=43394.30
Fred

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on April 15, 2020, 05:43:57 AM
I am reall surprised at that too as rhat sort of mileage  would be done  pretty quickly too.

The Arrowhead book says 600 miles radius ----- on internal fuel. Still short-legged though, if it was based in Calgary and took off there and went north and went to it's maximum radius and then turned around to return to Calgary, it wouldn't have left the province ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Now I want to build a Yak-28 lol.

I'm sure through advancements etc the Arrow would have had longer legs. She was a big bird, I'm sure they would have crammed more fuel in there somewhere !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 18, 2020, 06:20:17 AM

Not that you can't recycle, but Jaybee built a Yak 26 Firedrake.  It has lovely long wings.
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=43394.30

Ah yes, I'd forgotten Jim's masterpiece of A Model Kit Defeating.

But his is a fighter and he used the standard fuselage, whereas mine will be a PR aircraft with the Yak-28 fuse and engines. It'll be a 'Firedrake-B' under the NATO scheme.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 18, 2020, 07:07:01 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on April 15, 2020, 05:43:57 AM
I am reall surprised at that too as rhat sort of mileage  would be done  pretty quickly too.

The Arrowhead book says 600 miles radius ----- on internal fuel. Still short-legged though, if it was based in Calgary and took off there and went north and went to it's maximum radius and then turned around to return to Calgary, it wouldn't have left the province ----
Subsonic only, supersonic combat radius for Arrow 2 was 264 mi. The numbers are in the
Arrowheads book.