Lockheed Carrier Landing Trainer, a T-33 with a difference -- a Twin Tail.

Started by kitnut617, April 18, 2020, 09:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on April 19, 2020, 04:31:24 AM
Very nicely done.  Good work.
:thumbsup:

Are you sure there isn't something different from the RW aircraft?  Just needs to be one little thing so we can call it a whiff and make it eligible for this GB.

Well, yes there is, although I didn't realize that it had to be a whiff. So what I've read is that the aircraft had a arrestor hook installed. Supposedly, a wire cable one (more like a hawser I would have thought) but the photos are inconclusive as to what it looks like, so I found a very basic single shaft hook in the spares box and then made up an attachment point for it. Plus of course, the width of the tail plane is possibly too wide, I just made it the same width as a P-38's as there's no 3-View of it.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: Scotaidh on April 19, 2020, 04:22:17 AM
Looks great - good build!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't get, though, why if it's a prototype for the USN it has USAF markings on it ... It seems very unlikely to me that the Air Force would willingly do anything for the Navy ...

That's a good question, and I can't answer it. I had the same thoughts. Probably 51-4263 was just handy at the time, the Navy had already got their order of TV-1's so none of those were on the production line. Probably explains why there's no records to be found in the Lockheed and Navy Archives. It didn't even get a special designation number ---- If it wasn't for the fact that Joe Baugher lists it and describes it in his USAF Serial Numbers page, I'd have thought the photos were very cleverly photoshopped

zenrat

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 19, 2020, 07:01:11 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 19, 2020, 04:31:24 AM
Very nicely done.  Good work.
:thumbsup:

Are you sure there isn't something different from the RW aircraft?  Just needs to be one little thing so we can call it a whiff and make it eligible for this GB.

Well, yes there is, although I didn't realize that it had to be a whiff. So what I've read is that the aircraft had a arrestor hook installed. Supposedly, a wire cable one (more like a hawser I would have thought) but the photos are inconclusive as to what it looks like, so I found a very basic single shaft hook in the spares box and then made up an attachment point for it. Plus of course, the width of the tail plane is possibly too wide, I just made it the same width as a P-38's as there's no 3-View of it.

To be entered in a GB the item (model, artwork, story, recipe, etc) has to be a what if.  No problem with you posting this in the GB section of the forum even if it was RW (although it could possibly be labelled "inspiration") as it will serve to give the rest of us ideas on ways to modify other things, however to be entered in the poll at the end is must be whiffed.

Which it is given you have fitted a "normal" hook.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Tophe

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 18, 2020, 10:01:50 AM
And my first thoughts when seeing the photos was -- they used P-38 tail surfaces. And I had this un-named kit of a P-38 which I've decided was going to be used as a donor kit for something else in mind, so the fins were quickly removed before I changed my mind ---
Of course, I would have prefered that your T-33 keeps the booms of the P-38 :-\ ;D, but the T-33 with twin-fin of yours is nice anyway, congratulations! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitnut617

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Tophe on April 20, 2020, 10:50:45 AM
And my first thoughts when seeing the photos was -- they used P-38 tail surfaces. And I had this un-named kit of a P-38 which I've decided was going to be used as a donor kit for something else in mind, so the fins were quickly removed before I changed my mind ---

Of course, I would have prefered that your T-33 keeps the booms of the P-38 :-\ ;D, but the T-33 with twin-fin of yours is nice anyway, congratulations! :thumbsup:

Just imagine virtual booms there Tophe.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kitnut617

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 20, 2020, 11:42:56 AM
Quote from: Tophe on April 20, 2020, 10:50:45 AM
Just imagine virtual booms there Tophe.  ;D
Well, I tried to "imagine" but I am not a magician! and... the miracle happens: ;D ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

dwomby

That's terrific.  Discovering its existence then building such a good replica.  Impressive!

David