Main Menu

RN-SRN4+

Started by Scotaidh, April 19, 2020, 02:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

I, for one, have always been a believer in things unique - the Harrier, for one (as opposed to any gear-driven lift-fan BS), and hovercraft in general, particularly for solving access to difficult terrain, like bogs and opposed landing sites.

I managed to obtain one of the old Airfix SRN4s, and that is what I'm attempting to kit out for the Navy.

So far, still very much trying out ideas ...

Ducting the props, whilst offering some protection against flying debris, might make the whole assemblage too heavy ...

Still working on the skirt ... although, if this were in the Royal Scottish Navy it'd have to be called a kilt.  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on April 19, 2020, 02:18:40 PM

Still working on the skirt ... although, if this were in the Royal Scottish Navy it'd have to be called a kilt.  ;)

Och aye!  ;D

I'm a big fan of the SRN4 as I worked on one of them for a short while, I've always thought they were grossly underated. And for years and years they were the largest hovercraft in the world too. Splendid machines, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of it.

One day I'll finish converting the three I have into a Mk III, but all those seats to paint, agggghhhhhh! :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Good project.  There was a real world proposal for a SRN4 minesweeper, due to hovercraft being largely unaffected by mines.  I can give you some details if you want.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Looking forward to this ! Such an awesome machine.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Scotaidh

Quote from: Mossie on April 19, 2020, 03:09:49 PM
Good project.  There was a real world proposal for a SRN4 minesweeper, due to hovercraft being largely unaffected by mines.  I can give you some details if you want.

Oh!  Yes, please!  :)  I hadn't considered anything other than "landing craft" ...  and where to source some 1:144 gun systems ...

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on April 20, 2020, 04:12:09 AM

and where to source some 1:144 gun systems ...

Try some of the R/C boat part suppliers.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 20, 2020, 04:13:27 AM

and where to source some 1:144 gun systems ...

Try some of the R/C boat part suppliers.

Lots on Shapeways, that's where I got my IJN guns for my RC ships

AndrewF

I moved to France from Scotland in 2000 and did a crossing on one of these with my car. It must have been one of the last commercial flights/voyages.

Mossie

Oh!  Yes, please!  :)  I hadn't considered anything other than "landing craft" ...  and where to source some 1:144 gun systems ...

Here you go.  There's a few different configurations so you can take your pick.

Single drawing here:
http://www.jameshovercraft.co.uk/includes/gallery.php?galName=g_n4hm1Concepts&imageNo=3&hoverMus=1

There's another drawing here, scroll about 2/3 down.  Keep scrolling down and there's a fair amount of text, this is taken from Rebuilding the Royal Navy, lots of other stuff too.
https://erenow.net/ww/rebuilding-royal-navy-warship-design-since-1945/11.php

If you're on Secret Projects, there's several drawings here including a plan of the internal layout.
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/srn4-hovercraft-concepts.10966/
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Be aware the Airfix kit is a Mk1 so the upper body is narrower than the later Mk 2s and 3s and the car deck is narrower. The hull stayed the same though, apart from being radically lengthened for the Mk 3s.

Regards
Kit

jcf

Minesweeper

Cargo lighter

A stretched BH.7 was proposed for various roles. This may be useful for ideas on the kind of kit to carry.

Then there were the 1200 ton proposals, the civil design being an SRN.4 on steroids.  ;D

Mossie

If you go the landing craft route, PG models do modern British armour in N Gauge.  Plenty of armour and softskins to fill it.  I've built the Land Rover hardtop and the Sherpa minibus, they're nice little models.
https://www.pg-models.co.uk/

Scotaidh

The instructions say matte black for all of the skirts, but I'm making the lower fingered part "rubber" to add visual depth.  I also reckon that part of the skirt would need changing more often with the Royal Marines driving over swamps and scrub at their landing sites.

The directions don't really specify deck colours for the interior.  I reckon it'd be all greys - this is the Grey Funnel Line, after all.

NARSES2

I've removed the other thread as per request

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 28, 2020, 07:07:49 AM
I've removed the other thread as per request

Chris

Thanks.   :thumbsup:   :wub: