Main Menu

RN-SRN4+

Started by Scotaidh, April 19, 2020, 02:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

This thing has quite the parts count!  And since a lot of it is "interior", there's a lot of P&W (Paint & Wait) involved ...

If you compare the directions with the model (see the red-outlines), you can see I'm leaving out some of the interior bits - I can't see any military wasting perfectly good transport-deck-space on soldier comforts - they can pack into the passenger spaces. 

Interior bits - seats, air-handlers, lockers - are only provided for the port-side lounges.  Parts fit is ... relaxed, shall we say, so care and putty are needed in equal measures ...  Various greys and OD green for the "upholster" - canvas stretched over aluminium framing ... If you've ever traveled by military transport, you know of what I speak.

I'm not being particularly careful with my brushwork and edges because in my experience such paintwork is done either by boatswains' mates or defaulters - and they're much more concerned with getting it done and down to the pub than civilian-quality finishes.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

That kit first came out when the parts count was what counted in the sales brochures, every kit said how many parts there were on the box lid!

Doing that one sided you've made it into a Mk 1.5, nice job.   ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on May 01, 2020, 11:37:20 AM

I'm not being particularly careful with my brushwork and edges because in my experience such paintwork is done either by boatswains' mates or defaulters - and they're much more concerned with getting it done and down to the pub than civilian-quality finishes.  :)

I've obviously been on "defaulter's report" for a number of years then ? No idea why ?  ;)

Seriously though, that's a really nice job you've done there  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Is that why everything is grey in colour?   ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Scotaidh

Quote from: rickshaw on May 02, 2020, 03:29:18 AM

"Haze-grey and under-weigh."  Unofficial Navy motto.  :)  They've got all sorts of greys, from 'max shade' to 'max tint'.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Gondor

Quote from: Scotaidh on May 02, 2020, 04:26:48 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on May 02, 2020, 03:29:18 AM

"Haze-grey and under-weigh."  Unofficial Navy motto.  :)  They've got all sorts of greys, from 'max shade' to 'max tint'.

Is that where Max Headroom went after he finished his show?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

The largest military hovercraft the public have access to, the BH7 at the Lee-on-Solent Hovercraft Museum, is JUST like that. About 25 different shades of grey all over, inside and outside.  :o

And equally interesting, it has the first microwave oven ever bought by the UK military aboard it. The security arrangements that are needed before you operate it have to be seen to be believed!  :o :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 02, 2020, 07:29:56 AM
The security arrangements that are needed before you operate it have to be seen to be believed!  :o :o :o

The hovercraft or the microwave, Kit? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 02, 2020, 07:50:03 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 02, 2020, 07:29:56 AM
The security arrangements that are needed before you operate it have to be seen to be believed!  :o :o :o

The hovercraft or the microwave, Kit? :unsure:

The microwave, you can just walk aboard the BH7.

The microwave is about the size of an 36" CRT television, and it's installed in the forward port corner of the craft behind TWO quite thick security locked doors. You can't actually start the oven until you're outside both doors, and they both have to be locked before you hit the 'cook' button!  :o

We had it demonstrated by our guide, who was a CPO aboard the BH7 when it was trialled as a minesweeper.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

kitnut617

Seeing as the core of a microwave is also the core to some sensitive radars (magnetrons) at the time, I'm not surprised to read that Kit ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

There are some film clips on You-Boob of stupid people doing dangerous things with the guts of microwaves.  They are quite interesting.
I looked at them when I had a surplus microwave I was thinking about repurposing*.  I decided I wasn't that stupid.

*killing ants was one possible use.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on May 02, 2020, 07:33:24 PM
There are some film clips on You-Boob of stupid people doing dangerous things with the guts of microwaves.  They are quite interesting.
I looked at them when I had a surplus microwave I was thinking about repurposing*.  I decided I wasn't that stupid.

You ever watch that sci-fi movie from years ago, where mutant ants grew to monster sizes because of the A-Bomb testing, I'd have thought you have enough critters down there that can kill you without creating more   ;D ;D ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 03, 2020, 06:45:39 AM

You ever watch that sci-fi movie from years ago, where mutant ants grew to monster sizes because of the A-Bomb testing, I'd have thought you have enough critters down there that can kill you without creating more   ;D ;D ;D

Ants are already on that list, so one more wouldn't hurt. ;)

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-dangerous-ant?fb_comment_id=781107575257870_863240087044618

zenrat

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 03, 2020, 06:45:39 AM

Them! (1954)

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..