TallEng's Modelling musing

Started by TallEng, April 20, 2020, 08:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: TallEng on October 12, 2022, 12:44:22 PMand a Gloster F.5/35 (resin kit by Planet).

35 or 34 Keith ? I've built the Magna 34, which is typically Magna, but it's an interesting aircraft. Suitable for a FAA conversion I would have thought ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: TallEng on October 12, 2022, 12:44:22 PMApropos FireStreak Hunter, I was wondering why the Firestreaks were mounted on the inner pylons?

I'm not certain but I assume that they were the only pylons eligible to have coolant conduits for the Firestreak's heat-seeking heads ("The seeker was cooled by running filtered air through an ammonia-cooled heat exchanger") and the respective heat exchanger somewhere within the airframe installed. The outer stations wouldn't lend themselves for this extra hardware.

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 13, 2022, 06:01:36 AM
Quote from: TallEng on October 12, 2022, 12:44:22 PMApropos FireStreak Hunter, I was wondering why the Firestreaks were mounted on the inner pylons?

I'm not certain but I assume that they were the only pylons eligible to have coolant conduits for the Firestreak's heat-seeking heads ("The seeker was cooled by running filtered air through an ammonia-cooled heat exchanger") and the respective heat exchanger somewhere within the airframe installed. The outer stations wouldn't lend themselves for this extra hardware.

It would also depend on when the Firestreaks were fitted. All the early aircraft only had two pylons.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dr. Griffin

Showing some very nice craftsmanship  :mellow:
Thanks for showing.

TallEng

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 13, 2022, 05:46:41 AM
Quote from: TallEng on October 12, 2022, 12:44:22 PMand a Gloster F.5/35 (resin kit by Planet).

35 or 34 Keith ? I've built the Magna 34, which is typically Magna, but it's an interesting aircraft. Suitable for a FAA conversion I would have thought ?

F.5/34 Chris, and it definitely says Planet models
Looks to be a pretty decent kit.
Although time will tell....
I was thinking early WWII Gladiator markings.
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TallEng

So what have we (thats the Royal We) been up to?
Not a lot...
weve done a bit more to the Hunter T.7 @Freightdog862 as its his conversion (its actually pretty good)
you just need a Revell Hunter (and some Modelling skill :mellow: )
And the Lightning FGA.? (also a @Freightdog862 conversion) um; its also pretty good. you just need to find somebody to do justice to it...
And youll need a Airfix Lightning for that one :rolleyes:

Lightning Hunter by Keith Woods, on Flickr

I know that the Lightning would have been just the job for this years LHC group build but sadly it was started in October 2019...
the Hunter T.7 was actually meant for the LHC group build but... (insert excuse here)

whilst rumaging about the stash i found this..
Sea venom by Keith Woods, on Flickr
(not the first kit I bought, but the First with Photographic proof; note the price...) and its still not built :rolleyes:

Regards
Keith

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

Quote from: TallEng on October 14, 2022, 02:23:22 PMF.5/34 Chris, and it definitely says Planet models

I knew Planet did the 34 Keith and it's probably a better build than the Magna one. Early War Gladiator markings would certainly suit it
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

The Wooksta!

The Matchbox Venom? Sell it. It was a vile build that traumatised me for  years and I still have flashbacks now. It put me off 32nd for life.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TallEng

Back home again for two weeks after a week at work and a week in Arlanda looking after one of our AIrbus's.
Time to finish the Lightning and Hnters ;D But of course one's thoughts turned to the next (already Started) GB,
namely the Logistics GB and what if anything I could do... Thoughts first turned to a Revell T2 bus (the Jägermeister one) but I've sort of
got that pencilled in for a Porsche flat 6 and lowered with fatter wheels, which would make it more a show van I think, although if used
as a Van, could get you you're drinks delivered really rapidly. Then thoughts drifted to the DH Albartross, but that was going to (possibly)
go to the Comms flight at RAF Hendon circa 1939 and would be more likely to be used to transport pilots/VIPs around as against spares/Logisticy stuff.
Or how about a BEA Cargo B727? as I recall BEA really wanted the B727 instead of the Trident, and I could see a Cargo version the B727 as a replacement
for the Merchantman (Cargo version of the Vangard) But I don't have a B727 in the stash and they don't seem readily available at the moment? and then there'd
be the BEA Cargo transfers to sort out. I do however have Revells 1/72 C54 Skymaster (big kit, many parts) That could possibly join Transport Command, instead of the Hastings
assuming that HP were too busy with the Victor and or couldn't sort out the Hastings. One could of course use the Hercules engines destined for the Hastings on the C54 as
a help to British post war Industry, or even Merlin 85's* as fitted to the Canadair North Star variant of the C54/DC4 (although I beleive that HP had taken against the Merlin
due to their experiances with it and the Halifax. So I've got some ideas/thinking to do, or maybe I'll just procrastinate until its too late...
Further thinking has reminded me I have a partly constructed alternative to the HS.780 Andover, I'm fairly sure its too far along construction wise, but I suppose I could try and
finish it in the spirit of this GB.

Regards
Keith
*They're probably not Merlin 85's but they sort of look like them to me. :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on November 05, 2022, 07:59:32 AMOr how about a BEA Cargo B727? as I recall BEA really wanted the B727 instead of the Trident, and I could see a Cargo version the B727 as a replacement
for the Merchantman (Cargo version of the Vangard) But I don't have a B727 in the stash and they don't seem readily available at the moment?

I do however have Revells 1/72 C54 Skymaster (big kit, many parts) That could possibly join Transport Command, instead of the Hastings

I started doing a pax 727-100 in BEA markings DECADES ago, and it ended up looking JUST like a Trident, how odd. I also did a PanAm Trident to match it.  ;D

A cargo 727 sounds good though, and I may have one or two knocking about. There's the Airfix -100 and -200 models (same mould but updated to the -200) and the Revell -100 as well. I think I have examples of all of them if you're in need?

I've got the BIG C-54 as well, and I'd forgotten I had it. It'd look good with four Pythons, but I don't have four Wyvern kits.  :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 05, 2022, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: TallEng on November 05, 2022, 07:59:32 AMOr how about a BEA Cargo B727? as I recall BEA really wanted the B727 instead of the Trident, and I could see a Cargo version the B727 as a replacement
for the Merchantman (Cargo version of the Vangard) But I don't have a B727 in the stash and they don't seem readily available at the moment?

I do however have Revells 1/72 C54 Skymaster (big kit, many parts) That could possibly join Transport Command, instead of the Hastings

I started doing a pax 727-100 in BEA markings DECADES ago, and it ended up looking JUST like a Trident, how odd. I also did a PanAm Trident to match it.  ;D

A cargo 727 sounds good though, and I may have one or two knocking about. There's the Airfix -100 and -200 models (same mould but updated to the -200) and the Revell -100 as well. I think I have examples of all of them if you're in need?

Yes please Kit if you could find one of them and let me know how much with postage to Germany, I'm sure I can amend the back story to fit ;D
Regards
Keith

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

So, no modeling this last week or so, as unfortunately Father in law is to use an euphemism "seriously ill"
So I've been doing what I believe is called displacement activities, you know when you can't settle on something to do
Because other things are occupying your mind. I've been half reading books and searching through the stash for those Roden
VC-10's that I 'know' I have. So far I've only turned up the BOAC Super VC-10; The  2 Tankers that I thought bought as well, (because they were cheaper) absolutely no sign of, possibly a figment of my imagination then :rolleyes: . I have however discovered that I have 11 Revell Hunters (mainly FGA9's) 5 Revell and 3 Airfix Lancaster's. And about 8 MPM Meteor (F.8, FR.9 (4 off) plus a couple of T.7/ T.7 1/2 ) oh and a couple of Revell/MPM Meteor F.4 and 4 Airfix DC-3.
(There's probably a Christmas song about that ;D )
One thinks that I'll let the Logistics GB pass me by.
As one's mind is otherwise preoccupied.
I might look at Roger Lindsay's Cold War Shield RAF Fighter squadrons 1950-1960 for further inspiration.
Regards
Keith

NARSES2

Quote from: TallEng on November 14, 2022, 09:58:38 AM(There's probably a Christmas song about that ;D )

Bit late for this years No 1 Keith, possibly 2023 ?  ;)