RAF Piasecki H-21

Started by chrisonord, April 21, 2020, 05:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on April 22, 2020, 02:58:04 PM

...........helicopters being notoriously poor gliders...

Having suffered an (intentional) auto-rotation descent in an early Wessex I can attest to that!  :o

I've never been so frightened in my life, they 'omitted' to tell me it was going to happen..............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I think that they do Harold  ;D
In the fuselage  there is 2 large  holes that would  be suitable to  stick two pairs of  exhaust pipes out of, so that at least should make it a bit more convincing.  Now that the engineering  side is dealt with, the more difficult and serious part needs addressing.  How to get rhe thin blue line  right  and what shade of blue to use.
That picture is of great  use Jon, and will help if i decide to  do some detail  work  in the engine  compartment  :thumbsup
I think I will  start this  build  when I have  finished the  twin pioneer  and the RAF  Wyvern  i am doing, oh and  the RAF  Douglas skyrocket  interceptor that's waiting for decals.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

Having tried and failed to paint thin lines with brushes and masking tape before now, my inclination would be to get some generic blue-stripe decals such as Fantasy Printshop make:

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/shop/decal-stripes-0-25mm-9mm-aircraft-blue-fp605/
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on April 22, 2020, 05:07:13 PM
Having tried and failed to paint thin lines with brushes and masking tape before now, my inclination would be to get some generic blue-stripe decals such as Fantasy Printshop make:

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/shop/decal-stripes-0-25mm-9mm-aircraft-blue-fp605/
Thankyou H,
They  look like they  could  make my job  a lot easier, and I would have some  spare  for another  project.  :thumbsup:
Chris

Scotaidh

Chris, you might also try car pin-striping tape.  Available from your nearest petrol-head supply shot on-line, in a variety of widths and colours. 

There is a caveat - I've only heard of this from other modelers, never tried it myself so I don't know how thick the tape is - it might be the 1/72 equivalent of a shelf. 

Also, Amazon carries what they call Chartpak tape, down to 1/16" (~1.5mm) width, in a range of colours - Gloss and Matte Blues among them.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

chrisonord

Quote from: Scotaidh on April 23, 2020, 03:31:06 AM
Chris, you might also try car pin-striping tape.  Available from your nearest petrol-head supply shot on-line, in a variety of widths and colours. 

There is a caveat - I've only heard of this from other modelers, never tried it myself so I don't know how thick the tape is - it might be the 1/72 equivalent of a shelf. 

Also, Amazon carries what they call Chartpak tape, down to 1/16" (~1.5mm) width, in a range of colours - Gloss and Matte Blues among them.
Cheers for the  heads up on that, I will  have a look at it too
Chris

NARSES2

Xtradecal do a set of various width stripes that come in 6 different colours. I find them very useful but would add the caveat that I've found it best to give them a coat of Klear (or similar) before soaking to avoid them breaking up, especially when using longer lengths.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XPSA

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Cheers  Chris  I  dare say any decals would need coating  if they are in long thin strips, they will be  much more  fragile
Chris