Long haul OOB builds

Started by Bungle, April 22, 2020, 07:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

You can see where the Beverley got its heritage from, can't you?

The 47 Sqdn crews used to call the Bevs 'Blocks of flats with wings' and that's JUST what the Blackburn Blackburn looks like too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Congratulations for your build.  :thumbsup:
I wouldn't have the guts to tackle a vacuform nowadays!
With the lower wing fitted, the fuselage looks even more deep, what a monster!
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

stevehed

Looking good. What transfers have you got for it?

Bungle

Time to make it shine !

Added a few details like the exhausts  and the Lewis gun enplacement. windows have been filled with Krystal Klear.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Bungle

Quote from: stevehed on May 03, 2020, 03:13:22 PM
Looking good. What transfers have you got for it?

Now that's a good question. I was building it Out of the box but when I took a look at the decals following your question, the greaseproof protective sheet is stuck to the decals and is not coming off to well.

So do I continue to struggle ?  No.

What if ?

One set is more orangy than the other so decisions, decisions.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Scotaidh

Just put the orange-y ones topside - the sun got 'em.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

Gods' Teeth but that's an ugly aircraft, no matter how stoned/drunk/sober you are! :banghead:

Looks like one of those old pressed-tin toys common in the 20's & 30's that generally bore little-to-no resemblance to the subject matter except in passing. :rolleyes:

Please note: This is not a criticism of the build, which is excellent, by the way, but of the design, which is horrendous.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Was the aim of this design to make it possible for the flight engineer to change the plugs, oil, and filters while in flight?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

My feeling is that the Blackburn Blackburn & the Avro Bison (both designed to Spec. 3/21) were the result of Their Lordships of the Admiralty in the 1920's not having the faintest clue of what they really wanted/needed (the Blackburn Dart was another), as most, if not all, of those who had a clue had been rolled into the RAF (along with anyone in the Army who had a clue) & the RAF not particularly caring about the RN (or the Army) or its flying element, except in respect to it taking pilots away from terrestrial airfields, where they belonged, & refusing to give them a hand.

I actually think the fact that the (older!) Fairey III was the next aircraft selected to fill the same role says a lot for the speed with which Their Lordships learned embarrassing lessons (with Ripons & Baffins replacing the Dart).

Mind you, they went on to make a few more later on.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

The Blackburn Dart, was there ever an aircraft MORE badly named?  :o

The very last thing a Dart could do was dart anywhere! It always looked as if it had ran into the hanger doors on roll-out to me, the engine has so much upthrust on it that the engine mount designers must have been using a different set of loft lines to those doing the fuselage!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Oddly it looks a natural for Japanese colours  :unsure:

Maybe it's the levels of co-operation between the two navies pre WWI and during it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Bungle

Apologies been doing rather than posting and work has suddenly got in the way (how dare they). Officially I retired last Sunday but they have pleaded I do another year at reduced hours (and reduced money) and I've never been busier !

Anyway all these posts cver the last two weeks.

So first of all I made a jig for the wings....

and that was successful. This lead me to getting the struts in place which went well but I missed that photo opportunity, so on to the next stage ... rigging.

and more

Bungle

It soon became apparent that there was a problem with the cabelling to the tailplanes. Using the contrail plans the cables would have sawn through the leading edge of the tailplanes. Fortunately I have the Putnams 'History of Blackburn Aircraft' and using that as a guide I repositioned the connector.

I had added the decal as originally it stood behind the cabling but now I could have left it for the big reveal. I guess you can guess what it's going to be now.

More rigging today

zenrat

It's smaller than I expected.  For some reason I thought it was 1/48 or 1/32.
Cracking rigging Bungle.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I love the old school Meccano jig.  :thumbsup: :wub:

Regards
Kit