Belgian Vickers Wellesley

Started by The Rat, April 22, 2020, 01:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

1 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

In the summer of 1939 the Belgian government was concerned that it's military air component was lacking in heavy bombers, but few were available. Britain offered some Vickers Wellesley aircraft, and six were taken on strength before the outbreak of war. When it became obvious that even more modern designs such as the Fairey Battle were unable to compete with German aircraft, they were taken from front-line units and used in the training role. The 3rd Air Regiment operated all of the aircraft, and painted their engine cowlings in a colourful red to offset the drab camouflage colours. As the country was overwhelmed they returned to Britain to serve out the rest of the war in various roles.

2 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

3 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

4 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

5 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

This is the Matchbox model, built straight out of the box. National markings came from the Airfix Fairey Battle.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

And the Belgian scheme suits it very well indeed.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

loupgarou

Very nice. I am more and more attrceted by this plane.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 22, 2020, 02:14:45 PM
And the Belgian scheme suits it very well indeed.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They do  :thumbsup:

Very well done Ratty
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Thank you all! This is the one that was rescued from "a long unseen corner of the bench", and was almost finished about 20 years ago! About the only thing required was finishing up the engine and adding the landing gear and other bits and bobs.

The only major paint change was to redo the underside in Sky Type S instead of the black, and I thought that was going to be easy: strip it off and repaint. Right... A few careful wipes with brake fluid and let it sit overnight. Rub it the next morning and VOILA!... Didn't budge. Bit of sandpaper and another wipe. Let it sit overnight. Nothing. I cannot remember what paint I used those two long decades ago, but whatever it was cures quite well after 7,300+ days. So after a scrub with dishwashing liquid to remove any traces of brake fluid, I daubed on some Model Master Sky Type S, expecting another bump in the road. Nope. Went on without any trouble, and one coat was sufficient. I will NOT be buying any lottery tickets this week because my luck has obviously been used up for now.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr