Cloning prone pilot figures.

Started by JayBee, April 24, 2020, 08:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Some time ago I was looking for the 1/72 prone gunner figure from certain Airfix kits. Having put a request on the forum I received from Army of One  (Cheers Hank!) the figure that I needed work began on this project and here it is :

It did need a little bit of cosmetic surgery (good old fashioned Airfix moulding) :

So we then had to think of how to prepare him for making a master mould.
A bit of plastic tubing with a piece of clear plastic rod (courtesy of a British Airways cocktail swizzle stick (well you do not leave them behind, do you?) inserted in it, was the next step.

Then it was reshape it. This was done using a good old fashioned pencil sharpener.

Then glue the victim on.

Next was to create a mould for the latex rubber that would become the mould for the resin final bit. This required the use of a plastic shot glass with the base cut of, a bit of plasticard and a short length of plastic rod.

Right the rubber mould is ready to come out, but sadly the plastic shot glass had to be sacrificed in the process.

We are now at the point of adding some resin, and note another plastic shot glass has been drafted in to hold the mould tightly in shape.
Looking good so far.

The resin has set, you can tell by the colour, and it has been lifted out of the shot glass straight jacket.

Now to remove the first attempt at casting resin. This explains the little bit of plastic rod, it was to give me a guide as to where to cut the mould to enable the master and subsequent mouldings to be removed.

What a failure, a great big air bubble!

..and yes I know the pilots feet are the wrong way up, but that is the only way they would stay in place for the photo.

The next effort was not perfect, the pilot's hands were missing but not bad at all. Some body putty will fix that.

And now to the final effort.
I produced a small run of prone figures, and I am happy with them.
Well they certainly satisfy my current needs.

They almost look like a group of acolytes praying to the great God Plasticus.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Yes, yes, yes Jim, really wonderful work, but what are they FOR?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

I will only say that one of them will represent "Winkle" Brown in an aircraft he never did fly.  :-X

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Rheged

The Miles M52 was a prone pilot, if memory serves..........
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on April 24, 2020, 09:54:14 AM

The Miles M52 was a prone pilot, if memory serves..........

There were also prone pilot aircraft being developed by Germany towards the end of WWII too.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

The Miles 52 had a normal seat.

And there were quite a few aircraft that Winkle didn't fly that he claimed he otherwise had...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Nick

NARSES2

Impressed with your work Jim although slightly concerned how many of your building materials seem to have started life associated with alcohol  ;)

Love that last shot "all hail the Great God ........"  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

He's Scottish!  From an area near Galsogow.  That, I think, explains everything...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JayBee

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 25, 2020, 02:24:33 AM
He's Scottish!  From an area near Galsogow.  That, I think, explains everything...

Oh please Lee, we in SW Scotland do not consider ourselves even close to Glasgow (yes. I kinow it is only 30 miles away) but they are not in the same country.
Consider our own TSRJoe (who is a Glaswegian), I think you will agree he is not even on the same planet as the rest of us.

:rolleyes:

Cats are not real. 

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on April 25, 2020, 06:14:09 AM

Consider our own TSRJoe (who is a Glaswegian), I think you will agree he is not even on the same planet as the rest of us.

That's just TSRJoe anyway.....  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: JayBee on April 25, 2020, 06:14:09 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 25, 2020, 02:24:33 AM

Oh please Lee, we in SW Scotland do not consider ourselves even close to Glasgow (yes. I kinow it is only 30 miles away) but they are not in the same country.

;D

I've always been amazed by how quickly you get out of Glasgow, even when not being chased  ;). I used to go to Motherwell quite a lot for both Ravenscraig and Dalzell steelworks and used to stay in what was almost a country inn just a few minutes taxi ride from the works. And yes I know you could say neither of those are in Glasgow, but they felt like it  :angel:

PS : I can even pronounce Dalzell properly  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 26, 2020, 05:41:56 AM

How DO you pronounce it?  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 26, 2020, 05:57:24 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 26, 2020, 05:41:56 AM

How DO you pronounce it?  :-\

Easy.

It's D L. A young lady called Pat who worked in the RMP Mill's sales office taught me  ;)