Missile launching turrets for Battleship or Battlecruiser

Started by ysi_maniac, April 25, 2020, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Inspired by these drawings, I have built a study of a turret fitted with missiles. You can see 2 configs:
1) fully deployed tubes and not installed 'plane missile'
2) fully deployed 'plane missile' and retracted tubes.

The KGV turret is included to show size similitude.

What do you think? Should I include these two configs in my model? Two equal turrets? A closed config maybe?
Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

Bear in mind that fragile missiles and the muzzle blast from 15" guns don't play well together. This is why the refitted Iowas didn't have more elaborate air defences and partly why the Tomahawk launchers were in those armoured 'coffins'. I'd be inclined to keep both the battleship's forward turrets and replace both rear ones with one traversing hanger/launcher for a fully assembled missile as far aft as possible, with a fixed assembly room forward of it where missile parts are brought up from the deep magazime and put together.

The original design of the Soviet Kanin class destroyers is the closest thing I can think of to a missile turret:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Air21

Maybe something like a Nelson class battleship with a Talos launcher built into the superstructure and then a few Mk26's staggered to either side with huge hull width magazines.

Big radars on the superstructure and a little helicopter hangar and pad in the back.