Area 88 1/144 - On the Tarmac (B707)

Started by strobez, April 26, 2020, 05:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

So I got the B707 finished.  It fought me a bit at the end.  The plane itself was fine, more or less, but since this is one of the very few Area 88 build projects with "wheels down" I didn't even think twice and glued the whole thing to the base, only to have the decal lift off with the glue.  In all the commotion, I ended up snapping a wire.  Still all in all, a problem of my own making, and given that it was external to the fuselage, relatively easy to fix.

I was going to post comments between all the pics, but I think you can follow the narrative pretty well..

Thanks!

Greg

Steel Penguin

that is looking the best kind of good  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

That's pretty darn smart there Greg.  :thumbsup:

Those multi-tube silencers for the Conways look VERY odd to today's eyes.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

Thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing, Kit, as I was drilling them out.  They're strange little things to my eyes.  Oh, and the Lufthansa decals from that A300 sure came in handy~
Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

I'm here to tell you; it looks great!! Painting these things can be hell, despite looking "so simple."   Add to that the old kit.....    Man, I'm dreading building one of mine.. I want to, but I know it's going to kick my arse. Making a good looking airliner, especially from "vintage" origins, is quite a task.  :mellow: :mellow:   Lord, knows.... I've two airfix kits combined with YEARS in them now and that's not being shelved, either.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Very good.  Almost makes me want to dig out one of the 1/72 airliners from my stash.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Early DC8s had similar silencers too, which is why I prefer the 60 series aircraft with the 'tube engines'.

For 707s, the later P&W JT3Ds are much more modellable and luckily the Minicraft 707s aren't too bad in that department. Just a pity about their crazy cockpit arrangements.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

I enjoyed building this kit and today I managed to get my hands on both a DC-6 and a B-707 in 1/72 scale.  Boy, is that BIG! They are both destined for my Tintin projects.  I also picked up the Rebox of the Airfix Hawker Demon (also for Tintin), but the really pleasant surprise was that after my purchase (about $100 for all three), the shop owner nearly chased after me out the door and then handed me the Platz 1/144 Ki-43 kit I'd been looking at but put back "for next time" and said it was a present for being a good customer.   :mellow:

I was very surprised, 'cause those babies cost $25-30 on the shelf... so, it was a very nice gesture and made the walk back to the subway much more pleasant (which was good, since those were some big boxes I had to carry!).
Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Great job on that wee bird ! The 707 is one of my favourites. Love that classic shape.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?