Blohm und Voss BV 40

Started by JayBee, April 30, 2020, 08:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Flyer on May 02, 2020, 04:24:26 PM
From what I remember from reading about them the idea was to tow them to a height above approaching bombers and ahead of the formation to do one or two head on diving passes after release...

Absolutely.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Well my mind has been made up and the third one will be Russian.

Here are the three pilots.

Nearest the camera is "Ivan".
Ivan is an assumed name for the sake of this narrative as Russia never gave the pilots name. Nor in fact have they ever admitted to having test flown the aircraft.

Next we have the American pilot. Charles Beaver. He was a real gung ho test pilot and as his name might suggest he was a real "eager beaver". Known as Chuck he is best known by his nickname of "Eager Chuck".

Lastly we have Eric "Winkle" Brown.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

They look more like an Olympic swimming match team just leaping into the pool!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 18, 2020, 02:42:12 AM
They look more like an Olympic swimming match team just leaping into the pool!  :o

Exactly what I was thinking Kit  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

OK now for the builds, and enough of the smarmy comments please, one would expect professional test pilots to do things in perfect unison.

So here we go for the build(s).
First the WK/Warlord series kits, and I am doing the two of them at the same time.
These are destined to be the American and Russian test examples.
These date from the late 1990's and do show it in ways. Have a look at the sprue gates!!!

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/6286/GZRecz.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/2865/csix7n.jpg

No, do not ask me what the extra blobby bit is sticking out from the tail is, your guess is as good as minOK here we go for the build(s).
First the WK/Warlord series kits, and I am doing the two of them at the same time.
These are destined to be the American and Russian test examples.
These date from the late 1990's and do show it in ways. Have a look at the sprue gates!!!

No, do not ask me what the extra blobby bit is sticking out from the tail is, your guess is as good as mine !

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Scotaidh

I believe that "blobby bit" is the anchor attachment point, used with the bungee launch system.  The glider is hooked to the bungee, and a spring-loaded clamp is placed over the blob.  This clamp is attached to a winch cable, which is used by the winch to draw the glider backwards until the bungee is at the desired tension.  When the pilot signals that he's ready, the winch operator releases the clamp, and Voila! the glider is launched by the bungee.

No?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

JayBee

Erm! No!

First we visit the fuselage.
Nice and simple, detail not bad, and they fit together.
One observation at this stage is that the surface of the plastic feels slightly rough, almost like very fine sandpaper. It certainly does not show in the photos.

Cats are not real. 

JayBee

Then the wings are dry fitted, and fitted is maybe not the correct term to use, but just to cheer up certain members on here I have placed them side by side as if they were a "Zwilling".

My answer is "Not a snowballs hope in Hell, will I do that!"

Cats are not real. 

Tophe

Wonderful zwilling (in dreams...) :thumbsup: :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

JayBee

.... and of course there was the "Bergahorn" proposal, which would have given both pilots a tremendous field of fire.

Bergahorn is the German name.
French  -  Sycomore
English  -  Sycamore
American English  -  Plane tree.

Cats are not real. 

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on May 22, 2020, 06:24:18 AM

........ which would have given both pilots a tremendous field of fire.

As well as the most APPALLING glide ratio!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit