R.A.N Grumman Tracer AEW

Started by rickshaw, May 04, 2020, 03:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

R.A.N Grumman Tracer AEW

When the Royal Australian Navy took delivery of an older ESSEX class carrier from the US Navy in 1969, they also took on an airgroup of aircraft.  Grumman Trackers, Tracers and Vought Crusaders and Douglas Sky Hawks.  The Trackers were ASW assets, the Tracers AEW aircraft and the Crusaders were fighters and the Sky Hawks strike aircraft.

This model depicts a Grumman Tracer in 1982.  It is flying as a member of 817 squadron, part of the complement of HMAS AUSTRALIA.  In 1981 the decision had been taken to change the radial engines for turbo-prop engines just had occurred for the Trackers.   This enabled commonality to be continued.  The aircraft had a substantially greater range and higher speeds and altitudes.  With revised avionics the range at which it could detect a fighter was also much greater.

The Kit

The kit is a resin one from Brazil.  It was made of the toughest resin I have encountered.  The Turboprops were from Germany.  A great deal of work went into fitting the turboprops while changing it to one with the wings folded was also the result of a great deal of work.   It is not a kit I would recommend.  I was aware that there was also a Mach-2 kit but had built several of those before and didn't think it would be worth the effort.   Appears I bit off more than I could chew!   Painted with a hairy stick and the decals came from the spares box.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Arrrgh!  I've just noticed one of roundel's Roos has drifted!  Bugger me!  I hate multipart roundels!!!!   :banghead: :banghead:

PR19_Kit

That Roo on the radome could be LOTS bigger!  ;D

That looks great Brian, and very logical too.  :thumbsup:

IIRC Falcon do a Tracer conversion in their 'Triple Packs' designed to go with the Hasegawa Tracker I presume, which may have  been easier than your Brazilian concrete kit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

History as it should have been, where Able Seaman Old Wombat goes to Officer Training School & retires as Rear Admiral Sir Old Wombat, KCB, AK, MG, DSM. ;) :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 04, 2020, 04:58:46 AM
History as it should have been, where Able Seaman Old Wombat goes to Officer Training School & retires as Rear Admiral Sir Old Wombat, KCB, AK, MG, DSM. ;) :thumbsup:

That would be the same timeline where young fred zenrat had 20/20 vision and grew up to become Biggles.   ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 04, 2020, 05:19:58 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on May 04, 2020, 04:58:46 AM

That would be the same timeline where young fred zenrat had 20/20 vision and grew up to become Biggles.   ;D

And where young Kit Spackman didn't have asthma and joined the RAF to become a Wing Commander Engineering Officer on BAC Eagle GR4s (which used to be called TSR2s....)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 04, 2020, 04:35:55 AM
That Roo on the radome could be LOTS bigger!  ;D

That looks great Brian, and very logical too.  :thumbsup:

IIRC Falcon do a Tracer conversion in their 'Triple Packs' designed to go with the Hasegawa Tracker I presume, which may have  been easier than your Brazilian concrete kit.

I was aware of the Falcon one but didn't know where to buy it.  This one came up on Evilbay and so I purchase it from a bloke in Brazil.  Took months to get here and another month or so to rebuild it how I wanted it.  The Roundel on the radome was the biggest I had available, so that was it.  It looks a little understated but it is still 20mm across.

Thank'ee one and all for the praise.  It isn't a great kit but it was worthwhile.  It took about 12 months or more for me to decal it.  So, it's been sitting on the side of desk waiting all that time.   :banghead:

Now, who is going to recommend it for a Whiffie?   :wacko:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

Good thinking - very plausible! :thumbsup:

The Rat

Quote from: rickshaw on May 04, 2020, 04:12:47 AM
Arrrgh!  I've just noticed one of roundel's Roos has drifted!  Bugger me!  I hate multipart roundels!!!!   :banghead: :banghead:

He got seasick and he's trying to get to the edge of the ship to heave his breakfast overboard.

But seriously, congratulations for sticking with it and turning out a good one!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

chrisonord

Very nice and well worth all the hard work you have put into it  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Turned out great ! That family of aeroplanes is one of my favourite. Just love the look and the sound of them. Mind you, I like the look of the turbine example as well !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on May 04, 2020, 06:03:18 AM

I was aware of the Falcon one but didn't know where to buy it. 

Direct from Falcon Brian, or JAYS Models.

That is very well executed though, tempted to do a RCN one now  ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 04, 2020, 12:44:49 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on May 04, 2020, 06:03:18 AM

I was aware of the Falcon one but didn't know where to buy it. 

Direct from Falcon Brian, or JAYS Models.

That is very well executed though, tempted to do a RCN one now  ;D

Stick with the Falcon one is what I recommend!