CAC Westland Wyvern, 805 squadron RAN, HMAS Melbourne, 1967

Started by Doug K, May 10, 2020, 02:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Oh my ! That looks so right ! I know it's alot of work, but so worth it !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on May 16, 2020, 05:07:46 PM
Oh my ! That looks so right ! I know it's alot of work, but so worth it !

:cheers:

Couldn't agree more Capt  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Looking really good, Doug! :thumbsup:

May I inquire as to how you went about doing the chequer-board pattern? :unsure:

I used a rather successful method someone told me (I've forgotten who) on my RAN F9F-8

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 17, 2019, 12:20:40 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 16, 2019, 02:12:10 PM
How does one go about doing that? I've often wondered.

First: Mask the outline of the overall area that you want to chequerboard & paint it in the lighter colour.
Second: Overlay a cross-hatch of the appropriate width masking tape (in this case 4mm), ensuring you have the correct gap between by using a piece of the same tape as a gauge, & paint the darker colour (an undercoat may be required if the colours may interact (eg: you don't want to paint red over yellow without a white undercoat, unless orange is OK)), & remove once the paint is dry.
Third: Overlay another cross-hatch of tape, this is somewhat easier (especially if you have somewhat translucent tape, like Tamiya tape, etc.) but you will want to use a tape gauge again to make sure in some spots, & paint the second (darker) colour again.

The other option is to mask the edges of the area & cross-hatch mask 4 times (twice for each colour) but I figure that way lies not just madness but also an unacceptably high (for me) risk of stuffing something up.

From here: https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=43236.0
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Doug K

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 21, 2020, 03:41:36 AM
Looking really good, Doug! :thumbsup:

May I inquire as to how you went about doing the chequer-board pattern? :unsure:

I used a rather successful method someone told me (I've forgotten who) on my RAN F9F-8

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 17, 2019, 12:20:40 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 16, 2019, 02:12:10 PM
How does one go about doing that? I've often wondered.

First: Mask the outline of the overall area that you want to chequerboard & paint it in the lighter colour.
Second: Overlay a cross-hatch of the appropriate width masking tape (in this case 4mm), ensuring you have the correct gap between by using a piece of the same tape as a gauge, & paint the darker colour (an undercoat may be required if the colours may interact (eg: you don't want to paint red over yellow without a white undercoat, unless orange is OK)), & remove once the paint is dry.
Third: Overlay another cross-hatch of tape, this is somewhat easier (especially if you have somewhat translucent tape, like Tamiya tape, etc.) but you will want to use a tape gauge again to make sure in some spots, & paint the second (darker) colour again.

The other option is to mask the edges of the area & cross-hatch mask 4 times (twice for each colour) but I figure that way lies not just madness but also an unacceptably high (for me) risk of stuffing something up.

From here: https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=43236.0

Yeah, that was pretty much it, I was using the thin masking tape over white, positioned the squares with a length of the tape (having used the same method to cut them roughly square) then red on top. There was some bleed but less than I feared

Doug K

Doug K

OK, she's done (i think).
The wing folds were so much fun they may be removed and reattached as nature intended! They also hide the paint job, I'll decided that later.

IMG_4161 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_4163 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_4164 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_4165 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_4166 by doug_alba, on Flickr

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 24, 2020, 01:43:22 AM
Cool, that's looking very good.  :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm still not sure about the wingfold. I'll wait before deciding if it's ready for the finished thread.

Old Wombat

Looks finished to me! :thumbsup:

Really nice job, Doug, & the wing-fold looks fine, to me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

My personal opinion regarding naval aircraft is that they should be displayed wings open.  Fold one if you must but not both or you'll hide the aircraft's true form.
But that's just me.  Your model, your way.

This looks excellent and having the wings folded does put the Roos the right way up.
Bravo.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Doug K

Quote from: zenrat on May 24, 2020, 04:18:42 AM
My personal opinion regarding naval aircraft is that they should be displayed wings open.  Fold one if you must but not both or you'll hide the aircraft's true form.
But that's just me.  Your model, your way.

This looks excellent and having the wings folded does put the Roos the right way up.
Bravo.

:thumbsup:

Thanks, I was thinking about that as a compromise

Doug K

PR19_Kit

Folded Wings Rule OK!  :thumbsup:

(That's after I've been converted by building my Barracuda IV of course... ;D)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit