Main Menu

F-105K

Started by Devilfish, May 12, 2020, 01:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

Entering service in 1963 to fill GOR.339.  Named the Thunder GR.1, the F-105K was the first two seat version of the F-105.  The only changes from the US version were a conformal bomb bay to hold the Red Beard target marker, and the deletion of the 20mm gun, it being replaced by a strike camera.

By the early 70's an updated version was put forward, which would see it re-engined and new avionics and cockpit displays.  A Ferranti TFR, and side looking radar was fitted, along with an LRMTS under the nose. The nuclear role, having gone to the Navy, was removed, and conventional weapons catered for.  

213 Sqn flew the Thunder GR.3 from RAF Gutersloh, mostly in the recon role, with the EMI pod, up until 1984, when the Thunder was replaced by the Hornet GR.1

Kit is the 1/48 Hobbyboss F-105G

GR.1 (Monogram kit) and GR.3 

20200510_145546 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20200510_150703 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20200510_150709 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20200510_150722 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20200510_150726 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20200510_150808 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20200510_150740 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Cool, this looks very natural.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

That is superb Paul, and as Thomas says, it looks a natural in RAF colours. :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Another jet, like the A-7, that I find strangely attractive. Nice work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

comrade harps

Looks the goods  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Captain Canada

Oh yeah ! That looks perfect. And the two sitting together look amazing. She's a sexy machine to begin with, so big and shapely, but when that camo ond those teo roundel combos are added > Look out ! Love the pod as well. Great stuff !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

That really does look good, well done sir  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

Excellent modelling - and it looks so right! :thumbsup:

McColm

jcf

Very cool.  :thumbsup:

The US designation would more likely be F-105H as it was the next letter in the sequence,
just as the Brit phantoms were F-4K and F-4M because of the designation standards.
Designating the RAF F-111 as the F-111K is anomalous, the next available letter in the
sequence was 'G', which was used much later for FB-111As reconfigured in the '80s for
the tactical role. All I can figure is that they chose 'K' to give it some commonality with
Phantoms for publicity purposes.

Where the notion that 'K' = Brit started is a good question.

Devilfish

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 12, 2020, 06:10:51 PM
Very cool.  :thumbsup:

The US designation would more likely be F-105H as it was the next letter in the sequence,
just as the Brit phantoms were F-4K and F-4M because of the designation standards.
Designating the RAF F-111 as the F-111K is anomalous, the next available letter in the
sequence was 'G', which was used much later for FB-111As reconfigured in the '80s for
the tactical role. All I can figure is that they chose 'K' to give it some commonality with
Phantoms for publicity purposes.

Where the notion that 'K' = Brit started is a good question.

United Kingdom lol

It's not unknown for the US designations to skip letter.   When the French ordered their E-3 aircraft, they insisted they be E-3F (for France).  When the RAF later ordered theirs, we got E-3Ds.

rickshaw

F = France
G = Germany
J = Japan

I'm sure the list goes...   :lol:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Strauss: G. for Germany, eh....
Salesman: Yeah, ehm, G for Germany, Herr Minister, you know, it'll go well on the plane, we could do a logo around it and it would look very tasty up in the clouds. We could illuminate it a bit - so, that on dark days you would see it twinkling like a star
Strauss: G for Germany..? Also G for Gott strafe England...this I am enjoying. (laughter) G for Germany!!

https://genius.com/Robert-calvert-aircraft-salesman-a-door-in-the-foot-lyrics
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..