Back from the shadows: Draken page 12

Started by flappydaffy, May 13, 2020, 05:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flappydaffy

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 03, 2022, 08:36:33 PM
Great work, Flappy! The exhaust can is awesome & the camo is fantastic! Brilliant job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The single-seater ain't bad either (he writes, making the understatement of the year, so nobody else needs to try for the next 12 months).

Why thank you sir, and let me add I'm pleased to help you achieved the "understatement of the year" award so early in 2022  ;) ;) ;D

flappydaffy

Quote from: crudebuteffective on January 04, 2022, 03:11:53 AM
cant think of superlative words that fit this build

skill that some of us can only dream of

a privilege to behold class such as this

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 04, 2022, 12:39:13 AM
Ok i just enlarged the helk out of those pics ..there quite small on a phone and my first comment of DAMN!! doesn't even come close..that is a surpurb paint job..perfect cut lines and the digi cam is beautiful..if i could only get one of my planes to look like id be chuffed to bits.
Damn thats impressive  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Only the second time ever ive given 3 thumbs up . ;D

thanks all for the comments :) please feel free to ask all technique questions you might have, would be happy to share my (still limited) knowledge  <_<

comrade harps

Whatever.

Pellson

Ridiculously good builds and, above all, camouflages.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

FAR148

flappydaffy

flappydaffy

hi all

since 2021 has seen me pausing a lot of project at the "wash/decals" stage, a high productivity can be expected in those first few months of the year... and here is number 2!

De Havilland Hornet

kit: Trumpetter
décals: Hi Decal Line
paints: Tamiya and Gunze
aftermarket: Eduard photoetch (wheelwell doors) Baracude (seat and cockpit details)

build was intented as a laboratory to test new techniques, especialy using oil paints to weather the camouflage. In the end, I learned a lot and am pleased with the end result. Landing gear is a bit light compared to the real thing, but not much is visible so it's ok.

The faded red on the propeller cone is a mistake, it was supposed to chip back to the underlying aluminium color, but something went wrong. I think the chipping product didn't stick because the aluminium was realy glossy. Spriral is done using an Edaurd mask

Cockpit was also a first with the gauges cut using a punch and die. A baracuda set for a spitfire was use to replace the trumpetter seat and a some details.

Fit of the kit was good, only "obstacle" were the wing radiators, they were thicker than the wings. So some sanding was needed.

and voila, that was number 2 for this year. 3 and 4 are in the final sprint. As usuals comments and remarks more than welcome.

Cheers from Brussels
Julien

perttime

The Hornet looks great!
The colours look interesting. Is it really that pale, or is it the photos?
I notice that the box says Hornet F.1 but the finished model has the later extended fin.

kitnut617

I'm a bit puzzled by all the panel lines ----  :-\ :-\ :-\
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

flappydaffy

Quote from: perttime on January 11, 2022, 10:29:18 AM
The Hornet looks great!
The colours look interesting. Is it really that pale, or is it the photos?
I notice that the box says Hornet F.1 but the finished model has the later extended fin.

They are really pale and you are correct for the fin, I liked the extended one better

flappydaffy

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 11, 2022, 11:08:18 AM

you got me looking at picutres of the real thing, turns out Trumpetter didn't get it wrong... and for once there are rivets missing on the belly

kitnut617

Quote from: flappydaffy on January 11, 2022, 12:10:23 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on January 11, 2022, 11:08:18 AM

you got me looking at picutres of the real thing, turns out Trumpetter didn't get it wrong... and for once there are rivets missing on the belly

I've got a book full of Hornet photos and there's hardly any panel lines anywhere. And rivets weren't used where there was metal added, everything was bonded in laminate form.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Wow with that interior ! Great work. Such a sexy looking little machine. Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

Theres jealous and theres my frame of mind right now...lets call it super jealous  ;D
Loved the Hornet since the first time i saw it and ive never seen it here for sale and trust me ive looked..ive got a better chance of finding gold plated chickens teeth .
As for the build..dude ya nailed it again..absolutely love that..that shape and the shadeing is just yummy as hell..yeah im a bit on the ga ga side with this one  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .