Back from the shadows: Draken page 12

Started by flappydaffy, May 13, 2020, 05:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: flappydaffy on October 07, 2021, 05:19:19 PM
...And here we go! (#thejoker)

another one finished this, that makes 6 so far  ;D for once I might end up building more kits than buying them this year  :mellow:

After testing by the navy, the conversion kit for the Wildcat caught the eye of the Finnish High Comand. Having ordered Wildcats to be able to operate them from short hidden airfields, the floatplane conversion was the next logical step. They would make it possible to them in the fjords (and the Fins had the impression they had a few of those). Short testing confirmed that water surface had good resistance to bomb impact, no mater how often the bomb struck it, it always returned to a flat surface in a few minutes... what else of an excuse did Finland need to order Wildcatfishs?

F-4F 3S Wildcatfish

kit: Hobbyboss
décals: TEchmod
paints: Tamiya and Gunze
masks: Montex (roundels)
aftermarket: Eduard photoetch (cockpit) Aires (Engine)

i couldn't find pictures of the build  :banghead: in order to make it sit on its floats, lots of weight was added to the tip of the floaters and just behind the engine. This resulted in a cracked canopy  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: the excessive weight in the nose tipped the plane over when the float were not installed and it landed on the canopy  :banghead: I will try to find a replacement one, but this is no prio... in the meantime enjoy the pictures

Let's not forget the familly portrait #floatplanes for the win!!

I love that, think you've just added the idea of a Royal Navy Wildcatfish to my what-if list !

flappydaffy

Hi all,

first and most important, an happy new year to all! May you be in good health and be the glue with you!

This being said, new year, same problems... I seem to once again have misplaced the dull gray overall color sheme plan of my models... OOPS!  ;D ;D

J-10S Vigorous Dragon

kit: Bronco
décals: HAD
paints: Tamiya and Gunze
masks: DN Models
aftermarket: PJ production (pilot) Aires (seats) Dreammodel (exhaust)

Overall a fun build and a challenging but fun paintjob...

Cockpit

Pilot figurine had to be torn into new angles to fit the seat... which got replaced by aires ones (much better detail). Some détailing happened on the back sides of the panels. Dails and screens are decals (punch died).

the airduct

worst and of the build was the airduct. Took a lot of sanding to get it seamless... and lets not talk about attaching it to the fuselage (tamiya putty to the rescue). In the end, it was worth it and using a F.O.D. would have saved me some time but would have looked plain weird

Exhaust
absolutely no doubt that the photoetch adds a lot of detail. Wasn't easy to install as the part of the Bronco are much different from the trumpetter one.

Paintjob
using the masks proved easy on the wings and vertical surfaces... tough part was the central part of the fuselage. Turns out the J10 is much slimmer than the Viggen, some cutting and adjusting was needed.

For the rest, a classic paintjob with preshading (lines and panels)... and lots of Tesa tape

stand

stand was taken from a 1/24 Typhoon from Airfix (not from my stach, so not a future project  :banghead: ). Could effect is made using a piece of kitchen paper towel. Top was modified with miliput to give it the right angle to support the J-10

and as a final treat, a familly picture with it's evolved single seater brother J-10B... for those wondering, no precut masks were used, all hand cut during a summer exam session in College  :o ;D

hope you like it, keep on whiffing in 2022 :) comment are as always welcome :)

cheers from Brussels

Flappy

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Great work, Flappy! The exhaust can is awesome & the camo is fantastic! Brilliant job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The single-seater ain't bad either (he writes, making the understatement of the year, so nobody else needs to try for the next 12 months).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Rick Lowe

Very good, and the base painting is a nice touch as well.  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Ok i just enlarged the helk out of those pics ..there quite small on a phone and my first comment of DAMN!! doesn't even come close..that is a surpurb paint job..perfect cut lines and the digi cam is beautiful..if i could only get one of my planes to look like id be chuffed to bits.
Damn thats impressive  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Only the second time ever ive given 3 thumbs up . ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AndrewF

Amazing work again - really impressive, clean builds. Top notch.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

crudebuteffective

cant think of superlative words that fit this build

skill that some of us can only dream of

a privilege to behold class such as this

Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

DogfighterZen

It's all been said but i'll reinforce it... EXCELLENT! :bow: :bow: :bow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.