What? Another Swift?!

Started by The Rat, May 14, 2020, 08:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

The Swift really was out of date by the time TSR2 would be entering service.  Personally, I'd go with a Jag fitted with a 72nd MiG21 wing as a TSR2 lead in trainer.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The RW TSR2 trainer was to be the Hunter T12, but they only built one of them. At least in the RW.

But in the WiffWorld.................  ;)

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 19, 2020, 01:26:47 PM
The Swift really was out of date by the time TSR2 would be entering service.  Personally, I'd go with a Jag fitted with a 72nd MiG21 wing as a TSR2 lead in trainer.

The Swift was pretty good at low-level so I can see it as a squadron hack and for building up low-level hours while they're waiting for enough TSR.2 airframes to be delivered in what would no doubt be a protracted roll-out. I won't dispute it's obsolescence though. Sorry for the slight threadnap but I'm curious why you would go with MiG-21 wings on the Jag? You've mentioned it before if I'm not mistaken?

One suggestion FWIW with a twin-tub Swift would be to perhaps give it a nice ventral strake? That dinky tail worries me.

The Wooksta!

A MiG 21 wing is a scale analog of a TSR2 wing sans the anhedral tips, so for any TSR lead in trainer it would be handy as you'd not only have similar instrumentation but similar handling.

The Swift F5 and F7 had a larger fin.  The Testors one is supposedly based on the F2-F4, although the wing fences are wrong.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

sideshowbob9

^ Interesting. Thanks for that.

I just like ventral strakes.  ;D

The Wooksta!

I should also add that the late lamented Airkit Swift FR5 conversion for the Hawk/Testors kit gave you a new fin and tailplanes, as well as intakes, wing l/e dogtooth, recce nose, tank and afterburner exhaust.  It may have come with u/c too. 

Paul Lucas is nothing if not thorough.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: The Rat on May 14, 2020, 08:13:17 PM
Yes, another Hawk/Testors Swift. Pretty sure I still have at least one more somewhere in the stash. This will be a bit simpler than most, as it will be wheels up on a stand. But it will be modified.

I guess there must be pics but I can't see any.  Mind you, no PC access at the mo, just phones, which may be why?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Scotaidh

Quote from: kitbasher on September 20, 2020, 05:53:16 AM
Quote from: The Rat on May 14, 2020, 08:13:17 PM
Yes, another Hawk/Testors Swift. Pretty sure I still have at least one more somewhere in the stash. This will be a bit simpler than most, as it will be wheels up on a stand. But it will be modified.

I guess there must be pics but I can't see any.  Mind you, no PC access at the mo, just phones, which may be why?

I, too, see no pictures ... I was just using my imagination.  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

There aren't any pics, apart from the one that's a Hunter...........  ;)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Yeah, facebook has become very stingy as a photo storage and sharing platform, after a while they erase the links. I've been meaning to switch over to Google to see if it's any better.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 21, 2020, 10:10:06 AM
No. :(

Ditto I'm afraid

It's to do with the address your trying to post. It's bad whatevery you did with it. Remember that you have to use a third party site to host pictures that you post here such as Flicker, which then give you a link to post such as

Imgp7721by Alastair Macfarlane, on Flickr

Which if you go to Quote this post you will see the structure of the code used.
Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Rat

Hmmm, I can see it, but not my previous ones.