Lockheed Martin F-16W - FINISHED - PAG.13

Started by DogfighterZen, May 17, 2020, 05:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Glad you like it, gentlemen!  :drink:

Quote from: zenrat on June 26, 2023, 02:58:48 AMLovely paintjob.
It would look like a B&W photoset if it wasn't for the coloured transfers on the load out.
 :thumbsup:

Yep, i get what you're saying, Fred. The black cardboard for the backdrop turns to grey with the lighting and it has almost the same sheen as the model's paint with the GX 114 smooth flat clear coat.
And you're right, it's really close to black  and white, here's one edited pic, i could barely see the difference...  ;D

I know it's almost one color for the whole thing and some people don't like grey jets but that's how i wanted it and very much what is happening in the real world with recent Viper schemes so this is what makes sense to me. I do think that my Have glass V paint came out too dark in the pics, it should be just a bit lighter with more metallic sheen to it as it looks in person... maybe it's the flat coat that's hiding a bit of that but my photography skills and light set up aren't the best so, it is what it is.   :mellow: 
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 26, 2023, 09:38:05 AMGlad you like it, gentlemen!  :
Uh... As far as I am concerned, I do not LIKE it, I LOVE her :wub:  ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

DogfighterZen

For anyone interested in reading a long and boring backstory to the F-16W, i have edited the final photos post, #189 on the previous page13 and added the text.
It's been hard to have time and mind to write but this is the best i can do at the moment. It's different from the first F-16w's story but i don't care, it's what came to mind and made some sort of sense... if you can call it that. ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 26, 2023, 04:06:15 PMFor anyone interested in reading a long and boring backstory to the F-16W, i have edited the final photos post, #189 on the previous page13 and added the text.
It's been hard to have time and mind to write but this is the best i can do at the moment. It's different from the first F-16w's story but i don't care, it's what came to mind and made some sort of sense... if you can call it that. ;D
Rui you forgot Kit's second law matey 🤣
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

perttime

Cool!
One thing that caught my eye is the white (or light) coloured thing between the fins. Airbrake?

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Vulcan7

the coolest looking F16 i've seen  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw on June 26, 2023, 08:17:48 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 26, 2023, 04:06:15 PMFor anyone interested in reading a long and boring backstory to the F-16W, i have edited the final photos post, #189 on the previous page13 and added the text.
Rui you forgot Kit's second law matey 🤣

well, i actually used it...  ;) as kit's law says, the backstory can always be changed to suit the model and when i went back to the first one's story, i realized it'd actually be easier to write a new one instead of using the old one with some tweaks... and to be honest, i stopped the second story short as it was getting too long and it was late and i had to sleep a few hours before work... There's a lot of the tech stuff i wanted to explain a bit better, stuff like the DAS, the Internal FLIR set up with the sensors on the nose and under the air intake's lip... And that leads to...

Quote from: perttime on June 26, 2023, 08:24:57 PMCool!
One thing that caught my eye is the white (or light) coloured thing between the fins. Airbrake?

Thanks, mate!  :thumbsup:
It's a very light grey panel covering the old single fin's attachment point and i forgot to include info on that detail in the backstory. I imagine that an air brake wouldn't be needed. Slowing down would be done using all flight control surfaces like on the F-22 and 35. Modern flight control systems take care of coordination to produce the desired speed reduction ratio. The Super Hornet also had the old "barn door" airbrake deleted so i believe LM wouldn't go old school and use the space for a new RWR sensor along with the top hemisphere DAS sensor, which is the black hexagon at the front of the panel.  ;)
That's a mix of decals from the Revell F-22 kit. The long one is under a few slightly darker squares but they're impossible to make out in the pics except for the wider one, i believe. The fact is that the long grey panel is present on the real Raptor. I did look for info regarding what's under that panel but found none so i have no idea of it's purpose in real life.

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on June 26, 2023, 09:07:45 PMAbsolutely superb!!  :wub:

Quote from: Vostoc7 on June 27, 2023, 04:29:16 AMthe coolest looking F16 i've seen  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Thank you, guys!  :bow:
It's good to know my fellow whiffers like this one especially. I've had this design on my mind ever since i got back to the hobby. No wonder it was my first what if build, although it wasn't the first one finished... :rolleyes:
I've always wondered why the F-16 only had a single tail when most of the contemporary U.S. fighters(F-14/15/18) had two but i imagined it could have something to do with the number of engines and, i later came to find that i wasn't very far from the truth when i was watching a 1990s documentary where Harry Hillaker said they'd tried the twin tails but couldn't get them to work and that it seemed that the engine cartel demanded that each engine had it's own tail... ;D So, that started my quest for the mythical Twin Tailed Viper... ;D
I've always loved the normal Viper design and always will but the F-16W is my idea of a fully modernized Viper without going full stealth, which would mean a new airplane. Although i have plans for various other Vipers including XLs, both single and twin seaters, i do i have an idea for a stealth F-16, but those will have to wait a bit longer.  :rolleyes:

Tophe

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 27, 2023, 10:53:51 AMAlthough i have plans for various other Vipers including XLs, both single and twin seaters, i do i have an idea for a stealth F-16, but those will have to wait a bit longer.  :rolleyes:
I hope I will live long enough to see several of the new future ones... or else: is there wi-fi in what-if Heaven above? ;)

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Tophe on June 27, 2023, 12:11:15 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 27, 2023, 10:53:51 AMAlthough i have plans for various other Vipers including XLs, both single and twin seaters, i do i have an idea for a stealth F-16, but those will have to wait a bit longer.  :rolleyes:
I hope I will live long enough to see several of the new future ones... or else: is there wi-fi in what-if Heaven above? ;)

You will, my friend, have faith and stay strong! :cheers:

Tophe

thanks! :thumbsup:
Anyway, build at your own rhythm, there is no hurry. This F-16W-2 was not immediate like in-1-week, no, but that produced a marvel! ;)