Aircraft in Fiction, Wikipedia article

Started by The Rat, May 18, 2020, 12:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Yeah, you're a 'primary source', but the problem is third-party corroboration. If they let people publish anything on there backed up only by their own book on the subject, then Wikipedia would be full of every author ever, filling endless pages of the site with their own work because they consider it important or notable. There's a standing ban on original research too, so you can't use Wikipedia as a 'journal' in which you're 'published' in order to enhance your credibility: imagine if you could...

Are the things you want to add written down in any of the books or discussed in the TV programmes? If so, then cross-reference them in such a way that anyone else can verify them. Are the logbooks on the web anywhere? If not, can you get them onto the web? If you can, then because you didn't write them, you can cite them.

Point me at a page that you've tried to edit and let me have a look at the talk/edit history pages.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

I thought it was a Shorts Sunderland,  as Kermit Weeks has it in his collection and there's a plaque inside,  as I have been inside it :banghead:

rickshaw

Weaver your comments remind me of Des Ball, an Australian academic.  He used to write about nuclear war fighting strategy.  He ended up being sucked into the Pentagon.  His favourite trick in academia was to get a pet Congreesman in the US to read into the congressional record what ever he had recently discovered.   He'd then footnote his claims in his latest book.    :banghead:

Know anybody in academia/Parliament?   :wacko:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on May 20, 2020, 12:55:49 AM
Weaver your comments remind me of Des Ball, an Australian academic.  He used to write about nuclear war fighting strategy.  He ended up being sucked into the Pentagon.  His favourite trick in academia was to get a pet Congreesman in the US to read into the congressional record what ever he had recently discovered.   He'd then footnote his claims in his latest book.    :banghead:

I could go on a rant about how entire areas of academia only exist because of processes like that, but it'd get political/controversial... :rolleyes: :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on May 20, 2020, 01:02:43 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on May 20, 2020, 12:55:49 AM

I could go on a rant about how entire areas of academia only exist because of processes like that, but it'd get political/controversial... :rolleyes: :banghead:

::attempts to look innocent in political scientist:: ;D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Nick

Quote from: McColm on May 19, 2020, 07:55:05 PM
I thought it was a Shorts Sunderland,  as Kermit Weeks has it in his collection and there's a plaque inside,  as I have been inside it :banghead:

https://www.indianajonesminute.com/china-clipper-then-and-now/

The Short Sunderland was developed into Mk.IV version which was renamed the Seaford. These were later converted into civilian airliners and named the Short Solent.

Weaver

Quote from: scooter on May 20, 2020, 01:23:59 AM
::attempts to look innocent in political scientist:: ;D

Roughly equivalent to an aircraft belonging to the Red Arrows attempting to look blue...  :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Nick on May 20, 2020, 02:27:40 AM
Quote from: McColm on May 19, 2020, 07:55:05 PM

https://www.indianajonesminute.com/china-clipper-then-and-now/

The Short Sunderland was developed into Mk.IV version which was renamed the Seaford. These were later converted into civilian airliners and named the Short Solent.

Easy way to remember the difference is that 'Sunderland' and 'Sandringham' both have 3 syllables, 'Seaford' and 'Solent' both have 2 syllables. I'm sure that was done on purpose.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr