Telford 2020 suggestions

Started by Freightdog862, May 20, 2020, 10:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

I'm not so sure.  The NF10 cockpit area does look very similar (the pod is wooden) and the canopy bears a strong resemblance to the Mosquito fighter's, but IIRC from my De Havilland Museum days (including a visit to their Tilbury store which at the time contained what is believed to be the most complete NF10 anywhere) the answer is no.  The construction technique would be the same, however.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

The T11 pod is wooden too IIRC.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 30, 2020, 02:13:08 PM

It is.

Back to suggestions. Tandem 2-seat EE P.1/Lightning conversion (fuselage plug + vacform canopy)?

EE P.8 conversion?

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitbasher on May 30, 2020, 04:06:35 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 30, 2020, 02:13:08 PM

It is.

Back to suggestions. Tandem 2-seat EE P.1/Lightning conversion (fuselage plug + vacform canopy)?

EE P.8 conversion?

P8 is  larger than a standard Lightning, it's almost a completely new aircraft.  Mind, it would be fantastic as a complete kit although I'd much prefer the P.6 single engined Lightning.

The FD 2 derived ER.103C would also be a fantastic kit option.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

chrisonord

P 1154 re release  would be nice
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitbasher

P.8 wing and tailplane size/shape essentially a Lightning F.6's (the main u/c isn't in the P.8's wing though).
Fin/rudder same as a P.1's.
Fuselage length isn't significantly different but I concede the shape (even  taking into account the obvious cockpit repositioning, loss of belly tank and aft fuselage area ruling shapes all of which could be kitbashed) is rather more different than I'd recalled. 
Air intake appears to have a slightly greater diameter, which carries along the fuselage. 
Moving the main u/c to the fuselage should be doable in kitbashing terms, But given everything else then a conversion consisting of a replacement fuselage and wingtip missile pylons should be feasible in modelling terms.
Whether it would be commercially feasible is another matter, of course.

The Wooksta!

I've got a mould for a solid fuselage P8 that has the canopy in place and it's significantly but subtly different from a Lightning.  It's also very heavy when cast - it's a lot of resin!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

perttime

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 31, 2020, 01:54:53 AM
I've got a mould for a solid fuselage P8 that has the canopy in place and it's significantly but subtly different from a Lightning.  It's also very heavy when cast - it's a lot of resin!
Does the mould allow using some other material to take up all the volume? A block of balsa or styrofoam?

The Wooksta!

TBH it's just a solid shape, with no panels, doors.  I took it from a balsa one that TsrJoe had done a good decade or so back.  And the mould is split horizontally, not vertically.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

elmayerle

Just my $0.02 (before sales tax):
1/72 Hunter conversion for the 3-foot extension at the transport joint that the CFE recommended
Hawker P.1091 "Delta-Hunter"
Hawker P.1117 "Sea Hunter" that Thorvic mentioned

Should you want to get into missiles for whiffing, I can work with the available 3-view of the Northrop AGM-137A TSSAM to show the stowed version for carriage as well as the extended-range version that was going to be offered to the UK before the program was cancelled.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

McColm

I've noticed that Combat Models now do the 1/72 Boeing  E-3D Sentry and the RC-135V/W  conversion sets .

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Weaver on May 20, 2020, 10:59:10 AM
SRAAM 100 / Taildog missile launchers.

The last time I mentioned this the problem was references, but since then the Bristol collection has got back up and running: they have one of the surviving launchers so they may have documentation/plans to go with it.

This would be a good idea. Definitely would have a few perhaps fitted to a later refurbished Hunter.

Keeper of George the Cat.

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 22, 2020, 04:59:41 AM

Centreline bomb carriers for Singapore hunters

And the special recce pack a few of their Hunters had fitted vice the 30mm ADEN too.

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Mossie on May 22, 2020, 12:19:05 PM

Tornado, ADV airframe with the radome replaced by a rounded nose containing a FLIR turret and other optronics.  Set would need a new nose & LRMTS fairing.  You could add fillets for the Skyflash fairings and IDS fuselage pylons if you wanted to be complete.

The Tornado in particular would be quite a head turner.

A very good idea especially if someone can find the full list of RAF wants for the GR4/4A upgrade. ISTR BAe were prepared to offer a multi-role ADV at one stage.

McColm

The  F-111B conversion set would be worth while,  with  a Whatif tandem seat cockpit also for the F-111A. I'm not too sure if it would be too expensive to modify the BAe 125 into the AEW concept as the modeller would loose most of the rear end .
Combat Models do the BAe 146 so it would make sense to include the FASS radomes for the AEW +C version.