Flying Submarine part I

Started by TomZ, May 23, 2020, 12:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draken35

You are courageous I must say...

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

royabulgaf

If I ever get a hold of one, and it would have to be real cheap, I'd paint it up like the yellow submarine.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

NARSES2

Quote from: royabulgaf on June 10, 2020, 08:10:28 PM
If I ever get a hold of one, and it would have to be real cheap, I'd paint it up like the yellow submarine.

I can certainly see where you are coming from
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Ushakov LPL, USSR, 1937

The flying submarine was supposed to be used on the open sea for torpedo attacks on opposing ships. It was supposed to track these ships and await their arrival at the projected course while submerged. In case the opposing ship would not pass closely enough, another trial was supposed to be possible. Therefore the flying aircraft would have had to surface after the opposing ship was out of sight, track them again and await them again at the correct position.

Another projected use was entering naval areas and naval bases, which were blocked by mine belts. The flying submarine was supposed to pass the mines while in the air and then land inside an opposing restricted area, bay or naval base at night, submerge and act as a submarine. During the day, it would then have been able to gather intelligence on opposing forces, determine navigable water, or use an opportunity to attack.

The project was terminated in 1938

Model: Unicraft 1/72

TomZ

ericr

PR19_Kit

That really looks rather splendid.  :thumbsup:

I still want to know what they did with the flying props when it was submerged, just let them idle, or....?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TomZ

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 22, 2020, 11:26:16 AM
I still want to know what they did with the flying props when it was submerged, just let them idle, or....?

What I could find is that the engine covers were closed before submerging. The engines were switched off. So I imagine that the props were feathered.

TomZ

Gondor

Looks like something out of a kids cartoon series

Great result considering what you sstarted with  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rheged

I like it!!  I now have a surreal picture in my mind of the opposition lobbing depth charges high in the air or AA guns at maximum depression trying to nobble it.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

That really has come out well Tom and just goes to show you can use the phrase "natural metal finish" and the word "Unicraft" in the same sentence without the aid of expletives  ;)

Really, really well done sir  :thumbsup:

zenrat

I like it.  It looks amazing considering what it came from.
Good job.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TomZ

Had some time to make some better pictures today:

TomZ

ericr