An Old Classic For the Naval GB

Started by AeroplaneDriver, May 23, 2020, 03:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: sandiego89 on May 28, 2020, 02:12:34 PM
Yes, very classic 1970's scheme- good stuff! 

Mavericks or Walleyes might look good/different.

I actually built up a pair of Walleyes from my stash...I'm torn on them though.   Thought it would look good but with the big fins they sit a bit too close to the ground on the outboards.  Hadn't really considered Mavericks since I always picture them being more modern that 70s, but yeah, plenty of Mavericks in use by the mid-70s of this build.  I may look at that as an option...currently leaning towards just dumb bombs (big Mk83s).  More than anything this is being driven by a desire to add another color to the build.  I've been playing around with a pair of Mk83s, some Tamiya extra thin cement and an old brush to get the rough fireproof coating on USN bombs.  I'm pretty happy with the effect so if it looks look under paint I think I may use them.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

All done!  I have very fond memories of building this as a kid when it first came out, and it was both a labor of love and a reminder of how lucky us modelers are to have modern kits.  It's basically OOB with some blow in doors on the intakes made form Evergreen card since the kit has nothing to represent these, just gaping holes.  The Stencel seat firing handle is PE from an unused Trumpeter Sea Hawk seat bent a little to look at little more droopy like Stencel firing handles.  I went back and forth on the weapons load.  Spent most of this afternoon putting together Walleyes, Zuni launchers, and Mk83s.  I initially thought Shrikes or Walleyes, but I currently have no Shrikes that are not already in use, and though I liked the Walleye idea the large wings interfered a little with the outrigger gear on the outer pylons.  So in the end it was between real world AV-8A loads of rockets or iron bombs and I went with bombs to add a little more color.  Plus I think it looks a little meaner with a pair of thousand-pounders.  I tried my had at replicating the ablative finish on USN/USMC bombs with Tamiya cement and an old brush, and while it is subtle it is noticeable in person.  I'm happy with it and will go a little more aggressive with it on my next build that needs heat resistant bombs.

It's finished as a USN AV-8A from VA-106 aboard USS Independence in 1975. After the USMC were impressed with their evaluation of the RAF's new Harrier the USN and USAF both jumped on the bandwagon and tried it out.  Both were impressed but the Air Force passed on the aircraft, at the time being focused on large, supersonic platforms.  The Navy on the other hand looked back at the still relatively recent USS Forestall fire and saw an advantage in an air wing containing an element that could operate from a fouled deck. 

The USMC ordered Harriers in 1969 and not long after the Navy placed a follow on order for 178 single seat AV-8As and 18 two seat TAV-8As.  As delivered the Navy Harriers were identical to Marine veesions but over time the Navy fleet gained more capabilites with more advanced navigation and targeting avionics and the ability to carry Shrike and Maverick missiles.   

This aircraft is pictured with a typical strike load of two Mk83 1,000lb bombs and drop tanks painted in VA-106 colors.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

That's very nice, and looks right in that scheme  too. :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Can't beat a nice bit of Gull Grey and white with a splash of squadron color :thumbsup:
Just as well they didn't fly from the USS Franklin D Roosevelt!
There's no way they'd get the ships name on the fuselage ;D

Regards
Keith.
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

DogfighterZen

That looks so good... very nice work!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"