Grumman F9F-2 Panther - RAN FAA. Finished Pics Pg 5.

Started by zenrat, May 25, 2020, 05:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

1956 saw the adoption of the kangaroo roundel (copyright held by the RAAF - although first confirmed use of the "in flight" kangaroo was as a funnel pennant on HMAS Queenborough in 1955), initially only on the fuselage of RAAF aircraft but on both the fuselage & wings by the RAN.

HMAS Queenborough, 1955

(Note: the form of the "in flight" kangaroo comes from the reverse of the Australian penny of the time.)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Thanks Womby.  I like to imagine the powers that be at their conference table;

"now, how can we ensure that it is made obvious to the casual observer that a 'what-if' model aircraft represents an Australian and not a British plane?"

Finished up painting the wheels and undercarriage today and primed the UC doors and air brakes.  Satin cleared the airframe.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Very nearly done.  She's up on her feet and the canopy is in place.  Just the UC doors and SNEB pods to attach.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 28, 2020, 05:20:54 AM
Very nearly done.  She's up on her feet and the canopy is in place.  Just the UC doors and SNEB pods to attach.

Wouldn't she of had rocket rails rather than SNEB pods ? Or were the R.A.N. a little less stuck in the past then the R.N. ?  ;)

Mind you I was always told that the reason that British forces stuck with rails and rockets was because we had so many of the things left post war ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 28, 2020, 05:35:55 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 28, 2020, 05:20:54 AM

Wouldn't she of had rocket rails rather than SNEB pods ? Or were the R.A.N. a little less stuck in the past then the R.N. ?  ;)

Mind you I was always told that the reason that British forces stuck with rails and rockets was because we had so many of the things left post war ?

IRL she probably would have carried 5" HVAR like our Sea Furies.
However, my RAN FAA Banshee and Seahawk both have SNEBs (see pic above) so I am continuing in the same vein.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 28, 2020, 05:43:45 AM

However, my RAN FAA Banshee and Seahawk both have SNEBs (see pic above) so I am continuing in the same vein.

Yup I realised that just as I hit "enter"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

Weaver

Niiiiice, but then I have a soft spot for EDSG/Sky Grummans...

Well done Fred. :thumbsup:

It's a shame ours are on opposite sides of the planet: they'd look good next to each other on a display table:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Oh, so those lumps moulded on the sides of the tip tanks are supposed to be lights!   :-\

You got enough rockets on that?

Yours looks very good and it would be excellent to see them side by side.  Maybe i'll post mine to you for a show some time.

Fred

PR19_Kit

That scheme suits the Panther's shape SO well.  :thumbsup:

Nice job Fred, and it would look very good next to Harold's Panther on the SIG stand at Telford, whenever that is of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

The Panther looks so sexy in the standard NATO naval scheme!  :wub:

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on June 29, 2020, 05:45:40 AM
You got enough rockets on that?

Two Sea Venoms made the sacrifice... ;D

Hunters could carry eight triple stacks so I don't think it's out of order. I seem to recall that I did actually do the maths.

Yours looks very good and it would be excellent to see them side by side.  Maybe i'll post mine to you for a show some time.

You know I once dropped half my models walking into a show, right?  :o :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 29, 2020, 05:53:33 AM
That scheme suits the Panther's shape SO well.  :thumbsup:

It does indeed. Looks good mate  :thumbsup:

chrisonord

I am liking that Fred very nice.  Yours and Weaver's  have given  me yet more wallet emptying  ideas :wacko:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

Now, these could find their way into the same show one day! ;D ;D ;D

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est